OT; Piggin Bling!

Bling seems to have taken over my PC and made itself my default search engine.

It's utter s**te.

How do I get rid of the pesky thing?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Typo for Bing?

Easier to answer if we know your operating system (Windows [?]) and which browser you use (Internet Explorer [?], Firefox etc).

Reply to
Robin

Sorry, yes!

:-)

Windows, but don't know which version - how do I find out?

IE 11.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably don't need it as it's IE11

Not my tipple and I'm about to go out but try:

- click the "gear" in top right corner of IE11

- click "Manage add-ons"

- in the Manage Add-ons box select "Search Providers"

- if you've previously used Google it should be on the list and you can make the default

- if not, or if Google's been deleted, you'll need to install a new search provider: see eg

(NB you don't need to watch the bloody Silverlight video. Just click on "to add new search providers"

Sorry I've go to dash but witrh luck a better tutor will be along shortly. Although "better" is propably redundant in that sentence.

Reply to
Robin

Showy, of no intrinsic value or worth, coveted by chavs and the illiterati?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ah, is *that* why people use Windows?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Name Google Status Default Listing order 1 Search suggestions Enabled Top result Not Available

Is wot it says :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I use it because it was loaded on my machine.

Daft questions;

Whats wrong with Windows - from a laymans POV. What alternatives are there?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sometimes, it does crazy things for no reason, and as it's the most common OS by far, it's a magnet for malware writers.

For someone who wants it to "just work", Mac OS, if you can live within the limits laid down by Apple. Android for mobile stuff like tablets and phones.

If you want a stable machine for limited uses, then Linux is good, but can be a sod to set up, as I keep finding. Mainly, it's the lack of easily available drivers for hardware that stops me in my tracks. (Cue Linuxisti saying "It's easy to write a driver or build it from source...")

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes well there you go. If you say Bing to anyone over 50, they say White Christmas, he sung it of course. What made Microsludge use that word, I have no idea. there are lots of good names for a search engine after all. How about Findit, or maybe startpage, h, that exists already. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As I said. the program hijack this from trend lists all the entries in the internet exploder program. If you remove them all then you end up with no provider and can then grab one you like and use that. I think it will work on 11, but only seen it work on 9 myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Last time I looked (some 8 years ago) there were 140,000 viruses for Windows. There's also a chance your machine has been silently taken over and is part of a Botnet that gets used in Denial of Service (DOS) attacks.

Windows also seems to think that it's useful that if an app (Word, say) has a file open, I shouldn't be able to rename the file using, say, Explorer (not IE).

Reply to
Tim Streater

ITYM "As the security model is inherently f***ed in the head, it's a magnet for malware writers"

Reply to
Adrian

I gather you may be running Linux now ;)

If not, and you are still stuck with Bing, is *anything* under Toolbars and Extensions? There are various other things which can grab your searches - eg "Conduit".

Reply to
Robin

If I knew what it was I might :-)

Norton, Goggle, AVG, Adobe etc, but nothing about Bing or searches.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It needn't mention Bing to be giving you Bing. So can you list the rest or post a screengrab somewhere?

And what's the full name of the "AVG" entry? If you use AVG software it may be OK but there's plenty of software that instals AVG toolbars without users realising it .

Reply to
Robin

No. cue linuxisti saying 'you must have some bloody weird hardware as I've not had a hardware driver issue in 5 years'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shall I start with the LCD screen on this laptop, which won't let me adjust the backlight brightness under Linux without using a script?

It's not even the latest and greatest, as it's over 6 years old. It also uses a very common Intel graphics chipset.

I've been having hardware problems with Linux since the earliest days of X.

Reply to
John Williamson

Odd. worked 'on the buttons' on my ten year old one, out of the box..

So did I, but... ...I haven't had them in the last 5 years...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a geek (or someone challenged with improving usibility) it's quite easy to turn scripts into GUI interfaces. Look at either using zenity or yad.

End users expect everything to work out of the box with nothing to configure. This is the experience buying a computer from a shop, or using one provided by the IT services at work.

Not every one can run an OS installation or be expected to.

However, those that can, should try Linux - and be ready to install and configure at request for others. The challenge is time, and unfamiliar hardware....

Reply to
Adrian C