[ot] phone chargers

5.2 V is within USB spec IIRC.

The magic forumula is a resistor chain between +5V, 0V and the data lines:

(any broken images, click on them, the preview is broken)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yep, I did see a similar explanation and reposted to correct my initial post. I had read it was over voltage a few years ago but this appears a more convincing argument. Especially when 2 or 3 years ago when I had the problem I tried 4 of 5 non Samsung chargers and none of them worked (fast charge). Whereas recently I have bought two new non Samsung chargers, both of which fast charged.

The one I bought last week was. £11.85

However I'm tempted to buy some more and this is less money £10 for but only 2.1A instead of 3.1. Maybe it doesn't do this fast charging either I can't see how to tell, apart from buying and trying.

Reply to
Nick

Are you certain your Samsung phone can be charged faster by using a different PS from the one supplied? If you're talking a Galaxy, not exactly a budget phone and it would be odd to me if just changing such a cheap part improved the charging time. Which on mine is pretty fast anyway. Only difference here is I use a charger only USB lead from a PS built into a socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a Samsung Tab (2?) 10.1 about 5 years old.

The problem was that when using a non Samsung charger it didn't seem to charge at all with the screen on and took like 10 hours to charge with the screen off. During charging as well as a lightening bolt on the battery icon there was a thin red cross.

Initially I assumed this was due to lack of amps from the non Samsung charger but further investigation determined it wasn't amp related.

So I'm not saying the new chargers charge faster than a Samsung one just that they don't charge appallingly slowly. I think there are just two speeds fast and slow. It is easy to see which the charger is by if the red cross appears on the battery charging icon.

Reply to
Nick