New Aerial socket

Just getting around to changing plastic to brushed chrome for all the sockets and switches in kitchen. There is a TV Aerial outlet for a small TV. The signal is not great - Would I be better to use a satellite type of socket rather than traditional Co- ax?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Maybe you mean F plug? If so, no, a wall socket wants to be unpluggable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

won't do any harm, and it gives you the option to shove satellite through the same faceplate at a later date (when matching faceplates might have been discontinued)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Probably won't make a detectable difference unless you change the coax to the aerial as well. At which point you might as well get a better aerial.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No. And consider that a Belling Lee type just pulls out easily. A screw in connection could be a safety hazard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 12 Dec 2016, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com grunted:

Why so? Why not just 'unscrewable'?

If you have a cable TV connection, that will indeed use an F-plug/socket on the wall, and that won't be unpluggable, so I fail to see the difference.

If it's a potential safety issue, then at least the OP's would have an 'unpluggable' plug at the TV end (unlike the case with a cable TV connection).

Reply to
Lobster

You can do what you like. Personally I don't see any upside in replacing th e connector with one that requires pliers then a minute of stiff turning ju st to unplug. Belling-Lees aren't ideal either, but they're a lot better su ited to that location than F plugs. The signal quality wants addressing els ewhere, an F plug won't cure it.

Cue a long pointless discussion about total trivia.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If the signal is not great, I'd have not thought it was the socket unless its shorted out or open circuit. Have you tested it or looked inside? To be honest, I don't like screw in aerials myself, as its far too easy to damage something when you trip up over the flying lead. Often the actual flying lead is the weakest link in the chain. they often use rubbish cable for cheapness. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It might also be a good idea to find out where the cable actually goes. if its merely a splitter off the main aerial and that has a good signal then more investigation is needed. It could be a separate aerial in not such a good place so again, this might be an issue with water in the coax etc. Lots of reasons for marginal signals really. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The problem isnt the socket, it?s the antenna on the other end of the cable.

Reply to
grjw

"grjw" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

My problem is the coax in the house. Tripping is not a hazard as the tv is on a worktop right up against the socket. Sometimes I need to wiggle the plug to remove the tarnish!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:o2mjc0$ca6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I agree Brian. Signal is not great due to the house being low down and having a double hipped roof, but I have a vey tall mast but still not really enough to see over the trees. I use Virgin Cable on Main TV so the aerial now only serves the kitchen - via a splitter with satellite type connectors.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The splinter will reduce the signal strength by a few db so if the kitchen is the only place it serves you could dispense with the splinter.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

If you need to split, use an amplified splitter.

Reply to
charles

on 12/12/2016, Lobster supposed :

You can get little adaptors for not much, which turn a screw F-plug into a push fit F-plug. I use them on my caravan to more quickly connect the dish to the Sat input socket.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It makes very little difference, but beware of the chrome wallplates that have a printed circuit board rather than a straight connection because they can be very lossy. Also beware of plates that include voltage isolation because they stop the sky eye working.

If the signal is marginal, amplify it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In article , DerbyBorn writes

Splitter as opposed to booster?

Reply to
bert

Bill Wright wrote in news:o2mtnp$rfb$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Thanks Bill. Chrome plate arrives today - unseen. Hope it will be okay. Usually Freeeview is okay - except for a break up on some channels occassionally. I certainly don't want it to be any worse.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Mike Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

It also serves the main TV - but that is usually viewing Cable TV. Would not want to dispense with the Freeview opportunity in case of loss of Cable.

Reply to
DerbyBorn