OT; Perfect boiled eggs

OK, I was exaggerating for effect. Wot he said! Perhaps the comparison should be between hens fed on food, and hens fed on whatever makes them taste so bland from Supermarkets. Or maybe 20 days makes a big effect, dunno. All I can say is that I get eggs from the farm next door, the chickens wander round for a chat occasionally. And the eggs are amazing. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Certainly not fail proof by any means. Eggs vary quite a lot in size (and to confound it even more, we like the extra-large eggs) so cooking times differ as well. That's why the gadget I linked to in my earlier posting is brilliant - because it works on temperature rather than time.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

[...]

Yep - in the supermarket I always look at all the dates on the different varieties and then pick the freshest ones. Interestingly, in my local Tesco at least, these tend not to be the organic, free-range, hand-woven, extra-expensive eggs - those are in fact usually the older ones.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

The water condenses on th cold eggs and runs down to be re-used. The more eggs, the less escapes as steam -- simple!

Reply to
<me9

Does the steam escape, or is it (more or less) contained?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It can only escape at the top via a 6mm hole in the cover.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not foolproof if you forget to watch it properly....

A friend has one of these type of automatic egg boilers, she says it works very well

Reply to
chris French

I use the a method given by Delia in one of her books.

Bring water to boil, put in eggs, simmer for 1 minute. Turn off, cover and leave for 5-7 minutes depending on how you like your eggs

Reply to
chris French

I agree (mostly) so we are probably wrong.

(It all escapes eventually as it boils dry. It takes longer for the same amount of water to boil off due to it condensing on more cold eggs. Infant school level science that one.)

Reply to
dennis

You'll be fascinated to learn that I have one of these, but it's shaped like a chicken (the head comes off and is a salt/pepper shaker)...kind of a twisted idea and strays in to the realms of cannibalism, but what the heck. The measuring thingy also has the marks for number of eggs soft, then hard, then medium and I thought it to be a mistake at first...but no! The timer buzzer's very strident, but that's another story.

Reply to
Lino expert

At the end of the day, a scientific approach, given the available variables, is prolly not how the water level was estimated. An iterative "suck it and see" method would work just as well, if not better

Reply to
geoff

You mean, do it (wait for it) empireggally?

Reply to
Graham.

eggsactly.

Sorry.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Fuck off dennis, that's my line

Reply to
geoff

In message , Graham. writes

Err ...

you

asked

for

it ...

Eggzactly

but

then

it's

only

yolk

Reply to
geoff

Slower turnover of stock

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you suggesting it's not worth shelling out on one of these gadgets? Is a traditional egg timer more hentertaining?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Typical - he poached your joke. Or should that be .....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That was horrhendous.

Reply to
Clot

I am, I am...

OMG! A satanist egg boiler!

Aha! I may yet enjoy the ultimate pleasure of the perfect dippy egg!

We won't go there...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman