OT: PC power supply

This morning something odd happened with my PC (Asus Core i7 m/b). I started smelling that hot electrics smell, and discovered that the power supply case was very hot. I opened it up (yes, I know) and saw that the two power transistor heatsinks were very hot. Nothing on the m/b seemed to be hot. I put it back together again and now it's running cool as usual. In my experience such things don't just go away, so I expect this problem to recur. I've considered replacing the power supply, but I'm reluctant to do that while the problem might lie elsewhere.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

fan clogged?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, you know, what exactly? Remember this is a DIY group, the "no serviceable parts" ethic and even warranties count for little here.

The last PC power supply I encountered that had a smell of burning insulation but continued to work (for a while) eventually packed up. On examination the main torroidal transformer which was smaller than I would have expected, had crisped up nicely.

Check for discolouration on the PCB that might indicate a dry joint.

Reply to
Graham.

The problem has recurred this morning. The hot smell is the giveaway sign. This time I ascertained that the fan was not spinning. I gave a push, and it started. When I stop it, it doesn't restart unless I nudge it. Apparently a fan problem. That's not so bad - I should be able to buy a replacement. The fan was rather dusty when I first took the PSU apart, so I guess there's dust in the bearings. It really is a bad idea to skimp on the bearings in a component like this - I suppose you get what you pay for though.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I replaced the fan. It cost a good fraction of what a new PSU would have cost, but at least I know that the fan will not crap out on this one. It's very quiet too.

Reply to
Gib Bogle