OT Overpopulation

On Wednesday, 8 April 2015 11:22:51 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You do know that hong Kong isn't a country.
Of course Australia has much more space but it's such a shit hole that no one wants to build there is that it.
On 08/04/2015 11:41, whisky-dave wrote:

Australian house prices are going through the roof (pun). They are much saught after. We have family in NSW and some friends have recently moved from the UK to Adelaide. They cannot speak highly enough of how friendly and helpful that the Aussies are.

You have no first hand experience of living in that shithole.

Irrelevant.

The quantity of new builds out there, in and around the existing major population centres is staggering.
I wouldn't call it a shit hole but having lived there for a few years the UK, away from the major population centres is IMHO a far nicer place to be, but then again I'm biased as I don't like the heat, humidity, bright sunshine or deadly snakes, spiders and sharks, but do like rolling countryside, hedges, moorland, British cheeses, Marmite, haddock and chips, pork pies, runner beans, English Tea, paddling at the waters edge, proper sausages, dry cured English bacon, Welsh Lamb, Guinness on draught, McVities digestive biscuits, McVities hobnobs, British milk, British chocolate, British bread, British tap water, British computer keyboards, British TV, British radio, M&S underpants, roads without tolls and British road signs.

IME you can get most of the above there. A lot of Oz ilike 1950s Britain. Time warp.
It's a boring place. Except for the wildlife, there's better of everything nearer to the UK.
On Saturday, 11 April 2015 06:41:58 UTC+1, harry wrote:

no

he

ne

Thre's not much wildlife is there ? Two friends have emmigrated there, the good points are the weather and spor t (if your into it) the less than good things, the useless govenrment (I gu ess we have that too). Culture well there aint any, history almost zero, be er mostly piss water apart from a few drinkable micro brewers, the police p etty and unlikable in general. Not a great deal of art liturature thearte o or musums of anyhting to speak of, well apart from the sideny opera H. As f or the TV almost unwatchable apart from US and UK imports.
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 11:26:40 +0100 Harryagain wrote :

I moved here precisely to get away from the conservation mentality of Twickenham, exchanging it for a city where one tower after another goes up. IOW I've exchanged the 19C for the 21C. Anything but boring.
Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

No, you've exchanged it for the 1960s. Here, we are busy blowing those towers up.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
On 14/04/2015 09:38, Tim Streater wrote:

And building even higher ones. All of our relations in NSW and Adelaide have swimming pools and enjoy a brilliant life. They would not even consider coming back to the UK. Life expectancy in Oz is amongst the highest in the world.
Bod

I don't want a swimming pool, thanks.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
On 14/04/2015 10:24, Tim Streater wrote:

I'm not offering you one ;-)

You were implying that I should want one. It's too sunny in Oz anyway, boring.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."
On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 10:08:03 UTC+1, Bod wrote:

My friend that emigrated from the UK he had a swimming pool, he couldn't afford one in melbourne even though he was erning more than he was in the UK.

My friend wouldn't either, he has skin cancer now.

Is that really why people go and live in another country ?
On Friday, 10 April 2015 09:45:36 UTC+1, The Other Mike wrote:
om>

o one wants to build there is that it.

I wasn't talking about the quality of the build but the place itself. but why come to london and pay £100 a week for a room like this.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2853951/Would-believe-Squalid-eight -bedroom-house-rented-rogue-landlords-appalling-conditions-40-000-year-TREE -poking-one-rooms-route-electricity.html

UK,
Theere must be some reason why there'a demand for housing in London, and a s Roger sheep says it's just a soggy little.
island what dopes australia have

but

or

s,

beans,

ish

ties

r,

now that last one is curious what's so special about British road signs ? I know you can't get decent tea in a lot of foreign places and the beer in AUS is piss water other than a few decent micro-brewers that is.

I wasn't talking about the quality of the build but the place itself. but why come to london and pay ?100 a week for a room like this.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2853951/Would-believe-Squalid-eight-bedroom-house-rented-rogue-landlords-appalling-conditions-40-000-year-TREE-poking-one-rooms-route-electricity.html
Ah. Back to the benefits of immigration are we?
On 10/04/2015 12:52, whisky-dave wrote:

The place it self is one of the best places to visit or live on the planet. The quality of life out there is second to none.

But boring.
On Friday, 10 April 2015 13:25:17 UTC+1, Bod wrote:

l.com>

t no one wants to build there is that it.

ight-bedroom-house-rented-rogue-landlords-appalling-conditions-40-000-year- TREE-poking-one-rooms-route-electricity.html

the UK,

nd as Roger sheep says it's just a soggy little.

, but

ine or

dges,

er beans,

nglish

cVities

ater,

roads

?

in AUS is piss water other than a few decent micro-brewers that is.

if you say so, but I don't really believe it. Sure there's some good things but for a lot of things it's just not that good at all. If iot was that great more people would live there than there are. I know of 3 AUS sisters for almost 20 years now and they 2 preferer Londo n one hampshire, they are lucky in that they have dual passports/nationalit y so they can live in either country. The choose here because of such thing s as the arts, music, life style, even the weather to some extent. or you could go to Earls court London and ask there. Apparently there's 200,000 in London alone so there must be something for t hem here and I doubt it's the weather.
I often wondered why they don't build larger cities or enlarge the existing ones it's not like there's not enough space, if you can build on a desert in navada why not AUS, same goes with audi dubai.
Of course it's easy to claim almost any country is top of some pole but I c ertainly remmeber this one being talked about on the radio around xmas time .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2696136/Why-people-Denmark-h appy-Study-claims-Danish-DNA-king-pursuit-happiness.html
On 10/04/2015 14:28, whisky-dave wrote:

Nevada is running on "fossil water" - coming out of underground aquifers. Which will be empty soon. Plus most of the Colorado river, which doesn't even get to the sea any more.
Abu Dhabi does a lot of distillation... but then, they have the oil for the power.
Andy