smell in bathroom due to plumbing

I installed our bath, toilet and sink. The sink and bath have the usual U-bend plumbing pieces as does the toilet (built in).
Every now and again there is a horrible smell in the bathroom like rotten eggs. No its not my wife ;o) It can sometimes be there for a couple of days and then disappears again.
I thought the U bends would stop all smells. Is there anything I can try to eradicate the problem.
Cheers
Steven.

It sounds as if you sometimes have a depresion (partial vacuum) in your waste system which pulling (sucking dry) one or more of your U-bends or traps.
When this problem occurs, does the water level drop in the toilet? What sort of traps do you have on the bath and basin? You may be able to fit deeper ones which are less likely to be pulled.
Your soil stack may be inadequately ventillated. Does it go up to roof level, where it is open to the atmosphere? If not, how is it vented?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bath ones are often particularly shallow and more prone to sucking empty. Do any of them girgle away when you finish draining the sink, bath, or loo? Also, if this is a vistor bathroom and might go unused for a while, traps can dry out.

You can get air admitance valves to prevent u-traps being sucked empty. Either stand-alone to be inserted in the waste pipe (and bigger versions for soil stacks), or integral with U-traps.
--
Andrew Gabriel