Bad smell - what could it be?

My house is approximately 1 year old and I had it built myself. I hired all the subs to do the work. Unfortunately, recently, I've noticed an awful smell in and around the powder room. This smell is only noticeable if it is raining outside. I thought a contractor may have left me a "present" in a vent in that bathroom but the smell is only noticeable when it rains. Can someone give me clue as what/where this could be coming from? There's a pedestal sink and toilet in the powder room. My HVAC & plumber contractor has gone belly-up so I can't call him to come smell out the culprit.

Thanks, tired-of-the-stink!

Reply to
statgod

Present could be in the stack pipe. Stack pipes are often straight shots out open to the rain. Hop on the roof, hold your breath and have a peek down.

But then again, if all your sinks and plumbing fixtures have P traps and are vented to the stack no smell in teh stack should hit the interior of the house. So much for that theory.

Hrmm.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

We had this same problem in our house -- yes, the smell is awful. Turned out to be septic gases backing up. Our septic tank was full and the gases had no where to go but back up into the bathroom. The vent in the yard was blocked as well. After we had the tank pumped out - no more problem.

Reply to
kerrytrout

Thank for the 2 excellent suggestions. Anything so I don't have to rip up my beuatiful hardwoods is a blessing.

Thanks

Reply to
statgod

My wife complains of a similar problem, rain or shine. Seems to happen about 6:30 every morning

I'd still guess a blockage someplace. Traps should stop it, but if there is a pressure buildup it may be possible to force some gasses through. Could even be a combination of blocked vent and overfilled septic. Is it possible that rain is getting into the septic system and overfilling it?

If you have town sewer, disregard suggestions above.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And what time do you wake up?

-- Oren

Oren

Only smells when it rains? Very odd. What does it smell like? Sewage/rotten eggs? Musty/moldy?

Sewer gas can back up if a sink or tub is not used often and water in the trap dries up. Construction worker left his lunch on a rafter in the attic?

Reply to
Norminn

I would guess between 6:00 and 6:29

Reply to
Abe

I thought he might say 7:00, but he never got that far.

-- Oren

Oren

Stop eating beans before bed and you wont fart when you get out of bed. The average man who eats beans before bed develops 150 to 220 lbs of gas pressure while sleeping. Upon waking this is released.

Reply to
souperman

if the vent is next to the room vent,maybe its coming down the room vent.

ds549

Reply to
Craven Morehead