OT Osbournes figures.

In article , GB writes

Pint and three quarters is a litre of water.

Reply to
bert

2 1/4 pounds of jam weighs about a kilogram
Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Not always. Local Sainburys have introduced 1 litre bottles of sparkling water at 6p per 100 mls. The same product in 500ml bottles is 5p per 100mls

Reply to
bert

And nothing to do with the advent of the cheap calculator?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. Results of tests in preimary schools who don't use calculators.

Reply to
Capitol

Think you need to look rather further to find the reasons why arithmetic skills are poorer than once. Ask any teacher of the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they are on minimum wage they will be paying tax. If they aren't on minimum wage there won't be a brit that wants the job.

Build some more.

Details please?

VAT is a sales tax in case you hadn't noticed. Would this new sales tax be on everything including food? Will it cost less to administer than the existing sales tax?

You do know that if we want to dexport into the EU we will have to apply the same regulations to our products and the EU will put import duty on some of our products to support the EU producers.

I am quite sure there are many costs for leaving and staying that you have missed.

Reply to
dennis

If they are on minium wage they won't be paying tax in a significant amount that's the point. They'll still get medical treatment but they wonlt be go ing private will they.

There will be provided the minium wage is met which it wonlt be when there are plenty of illegal immigrants that need employment.

Who's paying you ? Or cam you tell me how a syrian migrant who's just paid he's last few thou sand to pay a traffiker to get him here will now have £300K plus in his p ocket to buy this house you're instructing to be build. Maybe you should inport wodney to build some cheap houses, you supply the l and he does the labour as he builds houses by himself so wont need any help .

So we'll do the same then simples isn;t it. When the EU tell you you can't buy a new VW unless you pay an extra £10K in tax, what will you do then ? Stick your head in the oven or a bucket of sand ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Maths has never been my strong suit, although I can manage arithmetic. I did notice, though, that once I started working and using calculators that my mental arithmetic abilities were slipping. I made a conscious decision to rely less on a calculator and actually use my head, which helped.

My field was financial services which meant I spent a lot of time talking to institutions, requesting figures for existing policies and investments. What I noticed over time was that the staff there had less and less ability to actually see what they were discussing. They would happily give me figures which were utterly impossible, yet could not see that.

Reply to
News

Yup. Also think phone numbers. At one time you'd remember all the important ones as you had to dial them. With your phone now doing the dialling from its contact list, you have no need to remember them, so don't.

Yes. Someone who understands their subject will have a rough idea of what is likely. So will spot an obviously wrong calculation and check it. Not something a simple computer can do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How will leaving the EU get rid of illegal immigrants?

The only reason houses are expensive in the UK is planning. If there was more land available to build on house prices would be in the £60k bracket as that is more tha the cost of building a three bed detached.

Do you even understand what you wrote? Why would the EU put 10k on a product made in the EU? They want to export but don't want to import.

If we put £10K on a VW made in the EU then they will retaliate and we will be much worse off.

The car makers will close the UK factories to start with and move to poland or some other EU country.

The UK can't start a trade war and expect to win not even in your dreams.

Reply to
dennis

Those numbers are straight from your arse, we can tell from the smell.

Reply to
Jack Brown

A government paid troll. Is that the best you can come up with?

Reply to
harry