OT Osbournes figures.

about 5 IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh. about 3 1/2!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LOL. Yes, it's 2000/568.

It's confusing (I find) because a pint is around 10% over 500 mls, whereas a pound is around 10% under 500 grams, and I tend to muddle up which is over and which is under.

Reply to
GB

yes. same here.

Of course if we were out of the EU we could go back to pints again.

And shillings!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can buy milk in pints right now.

There's a load of rubbish talked about the EU. Decimalisation of the currency and weights and measures is nothing to do with it.

Besides which, I often carry shilling and 2 shilling coins in my pocket, marked 5p and 10p respectively.

Reply to
GB

I'd expect most to have noticed the larger sizes tend to be sold at a much lower price per unit. And that most things sold in a decent supermarket also have a price per unit for comparison purposes.

But that obviously is well above the head of many.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's standard business practice to try and confuse the customer by selling things in odd sizes. Or package it in such a way to make it appear you're getting more per pence.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Must have been someone brain dead.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I already buy all my milk in pints. As I said, in 4-pintas. From TescOS, Morrisons Sainburys, Waitrose, etc, because each such container is about a quid. Each contains 2.2 or so litres - marked as such on the bottle.

In fact I usually buy three bottles, one being 1% milk (orange top) and the others being 2% (green top).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Certainly true when the standard toothpaste tube size suddenly went down from 100ml to 75ml for the same price. But milk is clearly marked. And you can get the 2-litre size if you really want.

Oh and by the way Dave , it's cheaper on a per-pint basis to get the milk in the 4-pintas

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don;t bother converting for most things I just don;t see the point unless I can buy 1 pint of milk, but I see a plastic bottle which I think it abou t 1.1 litres and if it;s semi-skimmed I'l buy iot I rarely bother to lok at the cost of milk

Why would we do that we were metric before we joined the EU. Stay in teh EU and we might be tempted with the Euro. I'd rather have LSD takes the edge off ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Wrong answer.

The correct response is :-

a) less than an equivalent volume of bottled water b) less than the cost of production+processing+transport

Reply to
Andrew

Which has made Mrs Blair a millionaire.

Our own legal system was perfectly fit for purpose prior to 1997, and since then an entire taxpayer-funded 'industry' has appeared to defend peoples 'rights' (but no equivalent system to enforce peoples responsibilities).

'Human rights' don't matter a damn to the overwhelming majority of people and most of those that do are actually only interested in evading or delaying the inevitable consequence of their own actions.

Reply to
Andrew

Depending on the shop.

Which you obviously trust.

I've noticed that they don't put the large plastic bottles above head heigh t and the labels are actually at the bottom of the shelf or container.

Last week I complained in tescos that they had the wrong label on the produ ct showing the wrong price, a label that said £1 for a product that was p reviously £2 and being sold for £1.50. I let them off the first time but the second day I asked why does the label say £1 and yuo charge £1/50. I took an employee over to teh product showed her the £1 label then my ti ll reciept for £1.50, she said oh it's the wrong label, I said I know I t old someone else that yeserday. So she removed the lebel from the shelf and put it in her pocket, so that left no price on teh product so how would an yone know how much the product is, I thought I'll ask but couldn't be bothe red, it's not my Problem now. It took another day to ad a label that said was £2 now £1.50 so that's 3 days all in all. I'm sure the 'inners' will say if we leave the EU it'l take 6 months to pri ce up a product then it'll be more expensive too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are you sure you're not getting confused with the price of chinese steel ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well, quite. And always were.

(And OTOH, my wife has no idea how much 'leccy costs, or car insurance & tax, or the council tax, because I deal with all that.)

Reply to
Huge

No, the only effect is that the population is now much worse at mental arithmetic.

Reply to
Capitol

In article , Tim Streater writes

We have the same influence as Luxembourg, Slovenia, Belgium etc etc.

Reply to
bert

Better off being outside the tent pissing in than inside the tent being pissed on.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

You think the EU does not claim sovereignty?

Reply to
bert