OT: Optane Install and partitions

Hi all, build8ng a new pc, with a gigabyte mb, 32gb Optane, and a new 960SS D. Im at install Windows time and it?s showing the new ssd with 2 part itions, a larger one as one would expect, but also one around 100odd gb. I understand that for Optane to work it needs a verySmall partition on the ss d to work. Should I shrink this partition now, or wait until after install is complete and working? And select the large partition to install windows on?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Shrink it with a blowlamp. Or, in extremis, a weed burner.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you can afford all that, you can afford a man to tell you the answer :-)

BUT my guess is that the SSD is preformatted. And that's nothing to do with optane per se, since you haven't installed windows yet. So nothing will or can have created that partition.Its how the SSD came.

The question the arises as to 'why'

It seems some SSDS come that way

But the general advice is to delete everything and let Windows do iuts thing

Except for that optane..

seems to tell you what is needed and why.

It sems to be a main boot partition, then a recovery partition, then a very small optane partition

But I have no experience of this tech. So thats my limit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

?If you can afford all that, you can afford a man to tell you the a nswer :-) ? I can afford it because I dont employ a man to do it;-)

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Where do these partitions come from?

Windows automatically creates an installation partition of 100MB as part of the install process. In the "Windows Setup" window is easy to confuse MB with GB?

After installation I also have a recovery partition, which windows uses so that it can perform recovery after OS installation problems.

I'm surprised you have opted for Optane and a 960SSD. I thought Optane, , which AIUI is just a disk cache, was only really useful when running with an old spinning HDD and no SSD.

Also as a caution for anyone installing a 960, I recently installed a Sansung 960 Evo for the first time and mistakenly screwed it beneath the ~3mm post it was supposed to sit on top of. :O( I corrected it the next day and all seemed ok.

Reply to
Jim Ericsson

I went for it as I want snappy performance and it certainly does make the w ife?s new pc boot quick, it?s almost instant! My mistake, i t?s a 860 not a 960...not that it makes a massive difference. For t he sake of a one off 70£, I thought it was worth it, and I don? ?t expect to be building my next pc for 5 years plus, by then they will b e built into the mb I suspect.

Reply to
Mr Sandman

An 860 is a good SATA SSD. It's a fairly high end SSD, but not terribly expensive. A 960 is an M.2 format NVMe SSD. It's more expensive than an 860, and is generally used by enthusiasts.

Reply to
Caecilius