OT Open Office help needed

I don't know if it's there but I only ever used Restricted Editing where several inexperienced users were contributing text. IMO not worth bothering with it if it's just you. If (now very^2 rarely) I have to play away with LibreOffice Writer I just put in junk paras with the styles I think I want to use then switch to displaying only "Applied Styles".

Reply to
Robin

That is where DKIM can help - it makes it harder[1] to alter or tamper with a mail in an undetectable way after it has been sent.

[1] Where "harder" will be impossible for most bad actors without significant resources since it used decent strength public key cryptography.
Reply to
John Rumm

Yup.

Reply to
newshound

Agreed. But most of the firms I worked for once Office became the business standard have a proper template for "Reports" and other formal documents. And when these are implemented well, the more casual user should not have too much trouble.

You can manage the styles part in Word 365 (and almost certainly the fonts too, with more digging back into the Windows System stuff). Like most of the clever features, it's a bit of a faff until you figure out how to do it. But you are right, I am probably a 1%er (rather than 0.1%).

I really didn't like the extra "ribbon" that arrived with docx and xlsx versions at first, but once you get the hang of it it can be very helpful. I do thing that some of the default implementation features are rubbish, though.

Reply to
newshound

Then they deserve all they get. Such as that by not using the style designed for the job, that heading doesn't make it into the ToC.

But then I recall seeing one person laying out multi-columns in a leaflet by using tabs and spaces in a single column. Which of course looks correct but doesn't survive once you want to change the "column" widths.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That would be fine if "they" got any penalty. But I was the poor sod who had to undo it all, reinstate the proper styles, re-create the deleted end-notes and captions, and then fix all the cross references.

And the people who manage vertical space with CR/LF.

Reply to
newshound

Yeah - sorry - I realised that after posting.

They haven't figured out that a word processor is not a f****ng typewriter.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I do rather like the fact that Word retains much of the traditional terminology and units from the days of typesetting. I don't think it yet eliminates rivers, though.

Reply to
newshound