OT: One last laptop memory question before I throw it out of the ruddy window

Thanks for your help with my question yesterday, all I need to know now is; I got 4MB (2x2) as an upgrade as the sites I looked on said that's what the laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A120) would take, when I put them in all I get are the flashing lights to say there's a memory problem - tried both, one in one slot, then the other, original memory plus one new, both new, left foot in, left foot out, everything.

Tried one of those sites that scans your computer and, according to that the machine will only take a total of 2GB (one in each slot, obviously) - so, basically, would I get the flashing lights showing an error if I had too much memory on board?

Reply to
Lino expert

I have just checked Crucial - the A120 appears to take only 2GB. (The A120SE takes up to 4GB. Could this be a source of confusion?)

Did you try the Crucial scnner?

Usually quite good.

I would have expected some sound signal if the memory is not usable. Can't remember what - three beeps? But might flash lights instead/as well.

Reply to
Rod

Crucial's website (which I trust) says 2Gb for a 120, and 4Gb for a

120SE. Which do you have?

At best, the extra 2Gb won't be used. At worst - the top address line onto the ram won't be driven, and each memory access will be randomly into one or the other half of the memory. So it won't go.

I should call the supplier back and say oops...

?model=Satellite%20Pro%20A120SE%20SeriesAndy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Very likely to.

There's also a Toshiba Forum (google) where you might get some worthwhile help.

There may be a full model number on the bottom of the laptop that should help locate exactly the right memory.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C ukdiy

Hello Rod, yep it was the crucial.com scanner that reported back the

2GB whereas the other sites I'd referenced (although not scanned before) said 4. It does say in the manual that the lights flash if there is a memory problem and I just wondered if too much memory would cause this.
Reply to
Lino expert

Yes I'd used the model number during my search, thanks for the tip on the forum though. Jeez why can't they just make it more straightforward, it's not rocket science but they sure as heck make you want to project computers moonward.

Reply to
Lino expert

This odel will only go upto 1GB using 2x512Mb ram

So anything lower has to be identical ie 265x256 and not 256x512

Reply to
George

What happens when wrong/too much memory is fitted seems almost entirely unpredictable. I have seen two seemingly identical machines - one worked fine, the other complained as soon as power is supplied. (That was with the memory actually being switched between machines, several times.) I'd suggest it very likely it could cause what you are seeing.

Reply to
Rod

Quite possibly... you may find 1GB is the largest size it will take (there are even a few relatively recent laptops about that max out at 1GB)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's a 120, I've searched high and low, but no mention of SE anywhere so yep, I reckon 2's the highest it will go, one in each slot. Arsebiscuits.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards - thanks all.

Reply to
Lino expert

If its ust the "A120" without the prefix numbers then its MAX is one gig ie

2x512
Reply to
George

?model=Satellite%20Pro%...>> Andy

It's a 120, I've searched high and low, but no mention of SE anywhere so yep, I reckon 2's the highest it will go, one in each slot. Arsebiscuits.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards - thanks all.

Not according to this review it aint 2Gig

George

2Gig
see what I mean?! I guess I'm going to have to drag it in to some shop or other *mutter, curse, grrrr*
Reply to
Lino expert

Read it again - to me, that doesn't seem to be what it says.

Reply to
Rod

> ://

The way I see it if it was a 2gig machine? then they would put a 1Gig ram module in or if it is a 1Gig? machine they would put in 512 which is whats in the machine from new. There is a whole range of A120's but Tosh america don't list it so this rigs e to the conclusion its been discontinued which I have frequently found with Tosh.

Reply to
George

They bung a cheapo 512 in as standard. And you can do a cheap upgrade to

1GB. (That is what I read the article as saying.) Which is one step better than them fitting 2x256 and you having to throw one (or both) out. But not as good as them fitting a single 1GB - and you having the option to upgrade to 2GB by just adding a second 1GB.

I must say I am inclined to believe Crucial's site (and their scan).

Reply to
Rod

>>> ://

Well his machine must have another three digits after it because this is the first in the line of the A120 models

it is 2Gig max but I was right about the A120 being discontinued.

Reply to
George

Bollocks, 4Gb max

Reply to
George

Whats the size of the....

CPU HD Screen size

Reply to
George

Link doesn't work - Tosh helpfully times out. :-(

Reply to
Rod