I have a craftsman riding mower with a 15 hp engine, peters out and won't run after about 20 min. Of mowing. Its not the gas cap.

It seems like it my kohler command 15 hp craftsman, 426cc, riding mower, model: CV15S, built between 1995-1998, has a bad coil. I already checked and tested the gas cap with no improvement. I can start it and mow for about 20 to 25 or 30 minutes and then it rapidly peters out.If I let it sit for a half hour or more, it will run again for about the same amount of time. I've looked into web sites and one said my Kohler Command has a gravity fuel feed system but mine has a fuel pump. It is not a Kohler Courage according to the info on the engine. When it "stalls" for lack of better terminology, it sounds like I have moved the throttle slowly down to idle and then shut it off. Please help. I'm at a loss. Should I get a coil, or is there something that I should check with the fuel pump or carb? Oh and it does smell somewhat hot after it quits. Would appreciate any help. And thanks.

Reply to
Jules fredrickson

That does not sound like a bad coil. Check the spark when it won't start. I am guessing a fuel delivery problem. Maybe a bad filter?

Reply to
gfretwell

Heat looks like the main cause and try these.

Check the coil high heat could cause it to shut down.

Old oil will cause over heating.

Something could be partially blocking the flow of air.

Reply to
redzap78

I doubt this is the problem in your case, but when you mentioned it smells hot, is the exhaust system ok ? I had a riding mower that a deflector piece fell off (rusted off) the muffler that would direct the hot exhaust away from the engine. I think it boiled the gas out of the carborator.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We have a Ransomes ZTR mower at work with a similar Kholer engine on it and it was doing the same thing. It would mow perfectly fine for awhile until it got hot and then would loose power. We also have a Bobcat skidsteer with a Kholer engine in it. Very similar in size. It would do the same thing. Run fine for awhile then start to loose power.

We tried everything from changing plugs,wires,fuel pumps,changing oil coolers,cleaning the carbs and retuning them back to factory spec,fuel pumps. Turns out on both machines it was the coils that were bad. Had the dealer install new ones and two years later they still run great.

Reply to
wg_2002

Happens on Kawasaki engines too - had one on a John Deere. The little blighters are expensive too!!! Then it threw a curve ball at me. The "ignitor" was bad too. Put in the new coil and it worked for a short time. Then died. Tried another coil. No joy. Replaced the ignitor (double ouch!!) and it ran. Tried the original coil, no go. Tried the first replacement - ran fine.

So both components had failed intermittent - just the kind of situations I LOVE troubleshooting -NOT!!! Sorry if some expert on the lists percieves this as inaccurate or wrong. ( may as well appologize before I get caught in error as after)

Reply to
clare

Ford engines used to die due to bad coils. The engines would quit after they got warm then restart after they cooled. I don't remember if they would die suddenly or start missing then die.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They still do - but 1 or 2 cyls at a time. Coil pack went intermittent on the 2002 Taurus - cost me $1000 in Catalytic converters.

Sorry if any information is incomplete.

Reply to
clare

Are Fords still notorious for that? Go figure....

Reply to
wg_2002

What is your outside temperature like? If it is very hot, are you using the correct grade of oil for that temperature range?

Also, when is the last time you changed the oil and the filter?

With the engine cold, have you tried washing off the cooling fins and making sure there is nothing obstructing the airflow to the engine? If the cooling fins are covered in dust, the heat transfer to the atmosphere will be greatly inhibited.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Here is the Kohler troubleshooting chart for your engine. Check all of the items listed under overheating.

Stormin' Norman

Should it turn out to be a bad coil , instead of replacing it with a spendy Kohler unit try this . Assuming yours is a twin with a single 2 pole coil w/points ignition , try using a Harley coil for a Shovelhead motor . It also has 2 poles and is designed for points . My KT17 has developed a miss probably due to worn points , but the Harley coil is still going strong after 2+ years .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Wouldn't say notorious or still. My Taurus is 16 years old and that was basically the first problem of any consequence.

Reply to
clare

I was thinking about the 1970s or so. A lot of irrigation power units were 390s, 428s or so. Carburetors and point ignition systems. There might have been some electronic ignition but I don't remember. Natural gas and propane fueled. And we had a one ton truck at work with a 390. It was ok for really short trips until someone spent a few bucks.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman