[OT] NIN

Is it just me or is news.individual.net being horribly slow today? My leafnode server keeps emailing me:

warning: news.individual.net: connection to 32.248.62.0 timed out

Not every connection attempt but a good 75% of 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not had any problems with NIN for ages

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Mmmm - I have a lot of missing posts too. Can see em on Google Groups but they're not coming through NIN

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not really sure - have certainly had some problems with Virgin cable recently so it is difficult to know how many of the hiccups have been due to NIN and how many "thank you VM". But certainly quite a number of them recently.

Reply to
Rod

If you're with VM, why are you using a third party news host? - VM has two.

Reply to
Phil L

Because I signed up with them years ago when they were free and NTL's news was unusably awful. IIRC it was when NTL set up a text-only news server that their service started to be just about usable but still far slower, less retention and unreliable. Although NIN introduced a charge, it's not that much. Also it appears that NIN block quite a lot of spam - but I am never in a position to really compare NIN & VM properly.

Reply to
Rod

you may want to investigate this. The IP of news.individual.net is

130.133.1.4, whereas the 32.248.62.0 you report is entirely unrelated to us and belongs to AT&T in the US... Yet, you still seem to be posting via our server, so at least occasionally you must be connecting to the correct IP address.

In case it is your ISPs DNS which is at fault, you should notice the improvement when substituting 130.133.1.4 for news.individual.net as the server address. Keep this in mind if you do, though, as we may have to switch addresses at some point (even though we haven't done so in years), and if you cannot connect anymore at all, this may be because news.individual.net now resolves to a different address...

Regards, Florian Schlichting

Reply to
News.Individual.NET Administra

this sounds worrying. If those weren't just posts arriving late, would you care to email us a list so we could investigate? There's always the danger of spam filters becoming too aggressive, but this should never be "a lot"!

Regards, Florian Schlichting

Reply to
News.Individual.NET Administra

I run a local caching name server (part of SME Server) and do not query my ISPs name sever. The problem went away just after I posted without me doing anything, so I suspect it must have been some temporary weirdness in (one of?) the root name servers A to M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated, NIN is well worth the

10EU/year.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice