OT: Nicknames?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Yeah, that Pu239 is dead natural, isn't it?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You remind me...

Along the trail you'll find me lopin' Where the spaces are wide open, In the land of the old A.E.C.* Yee-hoo! Where the scenery's attractive, And the air is radioactive, Oh, the Wild West is where I wanna be.

'Mid the sagebrush and the cactus I'll watch the fellows practice Droppin' bombs through the clean desert breeze. A-ha! I'll have on my sombrero, And of course I'll wear a pair o' Levis over my lead B.V.D.'s.**

I will leave the city's rush, Leave the fancy and the plush, Leave the snow and leave the slush And the crowds. I will seek the desert's hush, Where the scenery is lush, How I long to see the mush-room clouds.

'Mid the yuccas and the thistles I'll watch the guided missiles, While the old F.B.I. watches me. Yee-hoo! Yes, I'll soon make my appearance (Soon as I can get my clearance), 'Cause the Wild West is where I wanna be.

Thanks Tom.

Of course, now the lead BVDs would be banned by H&S.

Reply to
Rod

I have some spent Uranium and I took it down to the local pub to see if anyone could identity it. All said that it was very heave and that it was not lead with one or two other comments.

They all pulled a face when I told them what is was.

The conversation then went to skin cancer and one said that over in Australia, the cause of the cancer was all the atomic testing they did in that region and that you don't find it in the hotter countries in europe. Personally, I have my doubt about this.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Then again the entire skin cancer thing is a modern scare story. However, the TV & other media propaganda provided by the 'sunblock' industry will shortly have everyone believing the myth.

I notice the current TV ads on the "slip, slop, slap, wrap" theme are deliberately aimed at children. In 20 years time they will preach this as the gospel according to the pharmacutical industry. It will become the norm for the hard of thinking.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There are at least some who argue that skin cancer is caused (in part) by lack of vitamin D...

There are those who argue that supplementation of vitamin D (at least by pills) is worse than doing nothing.

Which seems to suggest we should all be getting our kit off outdoors in the weaker winter sunshine...

(You first. I want them all to be laughing at you before they laugh at me. :-) )

Reply to
Rod

The population in Aus is largely of northern European stock - English and so on - and pretty pale.

Think about the people in Greece and Spain, with a similar climate, and they are noticeably darker.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thanks for that Andy, I'll throw that back into the argument when he next visits the pub.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Like Melbourne - with the second largest Greek population

Darwin a major Indonesian city

Reply to
geoff

Plasterers are spreads as we have already said. I heard a plumber being referred to as a "leaks" the other day. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I admit I'm a bit out of date but all my family are English, French or German.

Oh look:

"Melbourne population by year ...

2001 3,366,542"

"According to the 2001 Census, there were 151,785 ethnic Greeks in the metropolitan area.[62] 47% of all Greek Australians live in Melbourne"

[source: Wikipedia, so I'm prepared for you to be able to prove me wrong]

That means Melbourne is less than 5% Greek.

Can't be bothered to find the figures for Darwin, but it's population is only 114,368 so it can't affect the country's ethnographics that much.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

still the second largest greek population, wirklich

Sorry, it's a standing joke, you prolly wouldn't understand

Reply to
geoff