BRICKY tool

Anybody used one of these ?

blockwork is pretty good, but have a few face brick projects to do ... and thought about one of these.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

They are excellent for a new build wall but totally useless for extending an existing one, unless the mortar is exactly the same width as the Bricky is set to.

You can also make an identical tool from some scrap pieces of wood in half an hour for nothing. (I used architrave)(This also allows you to set the thickness of mortar you want)

Reply to
EricP

Been discussed here quite a lot in the past - try googling for it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

work for me.

Reply to
Matty F

I've not used one of those, but I would suggest you book yourself on a local bricklaying course. I'm sure it will be much more satisfying to be doing it properly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Funny you should advocate that; - the Bricky Tool inventor 'Noel Marshall'(?) was on a promo-channel demonstrating his device and saying that many (most?) 'brick laying' courses were utilising his tool and CD for their teaching methods. Circular argument?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

In article , Brian Sharrock writes

I bought one some while ago but haven't as yet got the "aroundtuit" that I need to make it work;)

I expect that they can make a very good job on the straights and new work as a previous poster said...

Reply to
tony sayer

But then: "he would say that, wouldn't he?"

David

Reply to
Lobster

More likely bullshit. There may be courses to teach you to use one of those, but I would suggest going on a proper bricklaying course for builders.

I did a 3 day one at Aldershot. If you want to know how to do large arches and more fancy things, then you can go and look at the lads doing their full C&G courses -- there was some very impressive brickwork there. I assure you, there's not a 'Bricky' tool in sight anywhere. I rather suspect anyone turning up with one of those at a building trades college is likely to leave with it wrapped around their neck...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Promotional vide runs .... and at mid point advises it's reduced to 329.99 incl free delivery, but when you try to order it adds £5.95 for delivery.

I had an email form them saying Free Delivery is not offered any more - shame they haven't updated the video .

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I don't have the time for a course ... I have laid thousands of blocks over the years - rough & fair faced, as well as loads of commons and small face work jobs, so my trowel skills are good - but know my facework is painfully slow.

Thinking more about it, maybe the tool is not suitable ... the walls I have to build are around 10m of solid wall ... almost standard English garden wall bond .... two brick wide .. no cavity, overall thickness 215mm

shows a pic)

The other is around 30m in total of 1+1/2 brick wide .. this is a stretcher course and a second course of queen closures (half width bricks)

215 x 46 x 65 ... BS Standard Special type BD.4 to be specific.

I don't think the Bricky tool would work on walls wider than 100mm, or does someone know different.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Yeah, they work well and it's quick too. And quite satisfying to use for those reasons, just as traditional bricklaying is if you can do it.

No, it will only work on a single skin or cavity wall as there are locating pegs that sit down the sides of the brick. To build a wall two bricks thick, you'd need to make your own version out of waterproof ply or somesuch. For what it does though, I reckon it's pretty good value and saves faffing with making your own - plus it's plastic, so waterproof and washable.

I went on an adult summer school at the local building college last year and one of the technicians was pouring scorn on it. Then I saw his brickwork. The idiot couldn't use a spirit level, let alone a trowel.

Also Catnic are trying to introduce their own gadget to the pro market:

suggest they don't have too much faith in the quality of today's brickies, or they see a chance to optimise the process with more modern methods.

Yeah, one of the lecturers said they were trying to attract a better class of student instead of scrotes who saw building college as the last chance saloon before prison. In fact one of their full time students stabbed another in the neck while we were there because he thought someone was teasing him. I'm not sure that the disapproval of people who behave like that is a reason not to do something.

At the end of the day, if it works for you, use it. Would you use a power drill instead of a bit and brace, a push-fit instead of an end-feed, a Paslode instead of a hammer? Traditional bricklaying is a great skill to have but let's not be martyrish about it.

Reply to
Mick6

In article , Mick6 writes

I've still got the books my dad used to study from at Letchworth college just after he was de-mobbed after the war. "The Modern bricklayer" first edition published in 1931!. A lot of detail about construction, estimating, drawing, geometry, and how bricks are made and history of bricklaying, what types, bonds, algebra!, stuff that the average UK chav wouldn't be much interested in methinks;!....

Suppose not.. though he did say they'll never invent a machine that lays bricks, and that was in 1957 IIRC;)

Reply to
tony sayer