OT: new study on low cost low carbon electricity.

This is a report about a report that looks at the TOTAL cost of low carbon electricity.

Not surprisingly they find that a mix of nuclear hydro and gas is the lowest cost low emission, and that adding [intermittent] renewables simply drives up the cost...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

However it can work if we can get the problem of storage sorted out efficiently. That has always been the problem with electricity. You can store Gas and oil etc, but you cannot story the electricity without major losses. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You're belling the cat again Brian.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good idea, Brian. Any suggestions as to how it might be done? Practical ones, I mean.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Losses don't matter quite so much as the capital cost. Dinorwic was a license to print money, which is why Americans snapped it up when it came on the market. I don't recall the efficiency ATM but I think losses are 20-30%.

Reply to
newshound

It's a puff piece by a pro-nuclear consultant about a report written for a conference by a PhD student.

Cost as framed around decarbonising (which is more expensive) - you support that now, then?

Reply to
RJH

That'll be why two new UK nuclear power stations are on the point of being abandoned.

Nobody knows the cost of decommissioning a nuclear reactor because no-one has done it. So nobody knows the cost of nuclear power.

Reply to
harry

Fuckit, lets just rape, pillage and pollute the planet. Lets just live for the present, make as much profit as possible. Fuck future generations.

Pillock.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Lots of reactors have been decommissioned, as you've been told several times with details. Take your head out of your arse.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And sadly, that's what will happen. Human nature. At the end of the day, nature will sort it out. Long after all those on here are dust.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are one of those.

Reply to
Richard

A human? True.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually it can't even then. Even before storage the levelised lifetime cost of intermittent renewables* is above that of - say - nuclear.

  • ex of subsidies etc.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its 75% efficient. So it has to sell electricity at considerably more than 30% more than it buys it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. I support the most coset effective way to deliver electricity to the people of this country.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but is it vegan?

Reply to
Max Demian

We'd be getting our electricity from Vega? That's one f*ck of a long cable! About 150,000,000,000,000 miles, in fact.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That was in a windy quarter when three of the nukes were temporarily shut down.

What was the lowest total wind output in that quarter? And the lowest total nuke power? Remember, we do want to keep the lights on...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris