[OT] New kitchen problem

I have had a new kesseboemer kitchen installed. The hob is a Bora. It is much deeper thaan the regular hob. A deep drawer beneath it normally has a cutlery tray near its top but due to the hob's depth had to be removed.

To restore it would need the sides and back of the drawer to be lowered (cut down). The problem there is they are from folded metal.

The fitter has yet to finish the job but he is not aware of what he is in for. The designer should have thought this through from the beginning and made special arrangements with the manufacturer but she is one of thos people that puts nothing in writing and then claims it is someone else's fault.

I cannot rely on them so I am asking if anyone knows of a metal shop in the North London are that might be able to handle a delicate job like this.

Reply to
pinnerite

And of course, would this compromise the structural integrity of the hob itself. Designers do not usually waste metal if they can do without it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I read it as

Reply to
alan_m

I doubt you will find a suitable drawer in a shop.

Could a shallow drawer be attached to the deep drawer front?

A picture of the drawer itself (metal) would be interesting. I use imgbb to up[load pics, although there are others.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You have not given any measurements regards the drawer or the depth of the hob. If these drawers are Blum then I think you are seeing a problem that may not be there. We have a Bosch hob that protrudes approx. 15mm below the worktop level and spans two cupboards and the only thing we needed to do was cut away part of the the two cupboard sides to accommodate the hob but it did not affect the two cutlery drawers beneath. Had it affected the drawers I would simply have moved their runners further down. Most kitchen drawer fronts bear little relation to the the actual depth of the drawer behind and usually allow some adjustment.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Certainly is someone else's fault if they make agreements with someone like that.

Tell the designer to sort it out or you will sue.

Reply to
Richard

So you want the £thousandsof singing and dancing Bora Hob but you don't want it to take up the space that the Bora hob takes? And you think it's someone else's fault? And you think someone should pay for some expensive adaptation of existing components to get you another inch of space back?

Hmm

TW

Reply to
TimW

If the kitchen designer didn't realise the hob wouldn't fit with a cutlery drawer below it, that sounds like the designer's fault.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd say it normal to have a dummy drawer front under the hob. Same as at a sink. If using stock kitchen units.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Fitted a B&Q kitchen for parents a few years back, 600mm gas hob with a wide drawer underneath, no problem. As I remember it, the bottom of the hob barely protruded through the worktop cut-out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most kitchen suppliers provide hobs etc and I suppose if it was one of theirs then you could have a claim if things do not go together. However, if you are supplying your own you cannot expect the ?designer? to consider it and I am afraid the onus is on you to check the details. If you did supply the information required and the designer did not factor them in then you may have a claim but you would have to check the T&C in case there is a cop out.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Perhaps pinnerite will clarify?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most hobs are not deep enough to require one - indeed, often the oven is directly beneath it. In our case a double oven, but the hob only protrudes through the worktop by about 5mm.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Could be - I didn't even consider having a drawer there. For many reasons other than if it could be done. And my kitchen isn't vast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Worktops have recently become much thinner, too. 20mm vs 40mm for some of them.

Reply to
GB

Isn't it the obvious place to put an oven, especially if eye level isn't an option?

Agreed - seems to be asking for some sort of bother from heat, spillage etc.

Reply to
RJH

Ah, just looked at a Bora hob. It seems to have an extractor fan built in? So, it's bound to be rather deeper than a normal hob.

Reply to
GB

For the 'solid surface' type worktops maybe, but for formica type, 38 or 40mm still seems common.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Extractor fan? Or cooling fan? Where would it be extracting from and to?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Some hobs do have an extractor built in, extracting downwards into the hob and then presumably out through the wall behind, negating the need for an extractor above the hob.

Reply to
Steve Walker