New Kitchen

Hi all

I'm thinking about putting in a new kitchen. Having done virtually no research into the matter i picked a figure out of my head of about =A35000 installed. I'm very rapidly realising that kitchens are bloody expensive! Being a student (got some cash from the remortgage) and due to the fact that I will be moving out in 2-3 years, I am willing to go a bit over the =A35000 mark but if it's going to be a lot more will just not bother.

What I would ideally like to do is to buy a slimline dishwasher, oven and f/f, all built-in and house my free standingWasher Dryer inside a cabinet (~700mm deep).

While I put in my own bathroom previously, it took me far too long and i just won't have the time, therefore will have to get the professionals in.

Before you all start shouting at me, yes I know that I will have to go over the =A35000 mark, but the question is, how much?

I've heard that the premium kitchens from B&Q are ok as long as you don't use their installers. Can anybody recommend any other manufacturers/showrooms/outlets which might be within my price range selling a reasonable product? (i'm in Aberdeen, Scotland)

The other question I have is about the boiler. At the minute it is a storage boiler (is that the correct term?). It is currently sitting at eye level uncovered in the kitchen. If i get it boxed in, would I have any problems if it then had to be replaced. I'm assuming I would prob have to buy a combi-boiler. What about the pipes, would i end up having to add/move pipes therefore messing up my new kitchen?

Any advice greatly appreciated, Miguel

Reply to
Miguel

You should not need to go over at all, if you do it yourself and pay careful attention to what you buy.

Try Arena kitchens. The deign place is in Inverness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should probably have pointed out that my boiler receives water from a water tank.I don't think the name 'header' tank is quite appropriate as I only have about 0.5m of head. I thought most hot water tanks usually had an electric immersion element just in case, but this one doesn't . The central heating is a closed system.

Miguel

Reply to
Miguel

I would avoid B&Q premium kitchens like the plague and it wasn't just their installers, it was their whole system (or lack of).

I went through hell with them. Despite being told it could be fitted within a month, once they had my money it slipped to over three months. I ripped out our current kitchen the night before delivery to give to a friend - BIG mistake. On delivery day, getting worried mid afternoon called to double check - yes it is on its way. Late afternoon, another call - yes it is on its way. Late late afternoon, a final call - ummmm, the units haven't been assembled, no idea why, they will take another 4 weeks but the next available fitters will be

2 months time. We went through months of hell without a kitchen, with completley wrong parts being delivered, failure to collect said wrong parts, damage to cabinets, no oven on the eventual fitting day despite having 7 months lead time...... you get the idea. To add final insult, while there were still outstanding problems we would get a weekly call "just closing the file, is everything now resolved?" and I would have to explain everything again and kick start a new emergency escalation which would disappear into thin air. Could never get hold of the same service centre person twice even with "direct" numbers. In the end I got =A3200 in "goodwill" (no liability) - IN F*****G B&Q vouchers! Like I want to set foot there again in my life!

Forgive the rant but this was so thoroughly bad in every way it cant be an isolated experience and if this rant is enough to save another poor soul from B&Q hell it is worth it.

Reply to
AA

You don't need to spend anything like 5k on a kitchen if you don't want. What sort of spec are you expecting?

I have slimline DW. It's cack. It squashes the plates in too close together and they don't get washed.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Fair point about your dishwasher, however, with it just being me in the flat if anything I will have enought trouble getting enough dishes to make it worthwhile putting it on! Having worked in comet for 5 years, I never heard more than the odd complaint, which you are always going to get.

I like what you are saying about the budget. I am looking for a modern looking oak kitchen. Am not overly concerned whether its laminate or real wood as long as i like the finish. I want the f/f, oven, hob and the slimline dishwasher integrated. The washer dryer will be freestanding but inside a deep enough unit with a cupboard door. Granite worktop would be nice but I have to be realistic.

I could realistically do the stripping of current wallpaper, applying new stuff and tiling but would want everything else done by the pro's because I simply won't have the time, and to be quite honest am concerned I won't get a good enough finish.

Can you recommend any national companies/local outlets in the Aberdeen (scotland) area?

thanks, Miguel

Reply to
Miguel

You are the second person to warn me off B&Q for anything! The other person was a member of staff.

Thanks for the advice, well taken!

miguel

Reply to
Miguel

We just got ours installed. Bought from Howdens only deal through the trade, and the builder gets a significant cut of the sale price, but then there's a lot of room for negotiation. We eventually got 50-60% off the list price.

You can open up your own trade account - tell them you're starting a renovation project.

Kitchen details at

Ann Street Aberdeen Aberdeenshire AB25 3LH Tel: 01224 637812

Reply to
Flash

[...]

Suggestion.

1) get the showroom to computer design your kitchen (then tell 'em you will think about it) 2) Search the internet for appropriate sized carcasses and doors 3) select your worktop 4)take delivery from whatever source (u may choose one showroom to save time but not money) 5) line up a kitchen fitter from yellow pages just to install the worktops (£150 per day here near London and you are indicating a kitchen with less than 1 day needed for the tops) 6) rip out kitchen, install cabinets, invite fitter and then tile and decorate.

None of the above allows for moving sockets plumbing etc but then the sheds rip your arms off for those anyway.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

This is a much harder task than one line indicates.

I found this part fun the first time, but having done it before I would now gladly pay the shed's price for fitting the cabinets, it's a bargain IMHO.

This is true, but that's because they are Part P registered (or whatever the terminology is) and you are not.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

They stockpiled your arms long before part P was invented

Peter

Reply to
Peter