OT: New computer

Good god they only just run in...

Having said that the drive in my workstation threw a wobbly last week. Manufactured March 2001 and been in use since then. It would have been 24/7 until a few years back then at least 12hrs/day. So say

9 years run time or 80,000 hrs. I've got an IDE drive in ATM and it's a bit slow compared to that 13 year old drive. That was (hopefully still is) an massive 17 GB 10,000 rpm Ultra 160 SCSI drive.

Digging about on the web that SCSI drive should have a 800,000 hr MTBF but is bang slap in the middle of the manufacturing period period that earned those drives the nickname "deathstar". B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, Bill is the root cause of MS's problems.

Reply to
bert

Tempting but ...

Get a perfectly usable 1024 x 1280 18" 16:10 rotatable 12 year old IPS panel for 10 quid if ye collect.

Find them on eBay, still pretty decent for photography IMO. Very good viewing angles, colour and I've been lucky with tubes, capacitors and dead pixels. Though ye may find they may need fettling.

NEC LCD 1810 (or LCD 1810X).

Now that I've mentioned that, my chances of picking up further stock is, uhmm. Oh well, i have four ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

You can, but then you get sod all pixels. Takes yer choice...

Yes, you can pile several of them together but it's still not the same.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

Er ... 1024x1280 isn't 16:10, it's 4:5 ... or 16:20, if you prefer.

.. not that that's a bad thing ... it just isn't what you said.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

Tentatively, touch wood (FX: taps forelock), seemingly fixed ...

The sec>

Reply to
Java Jive

Ah, whoops. 4:5 it is.

27" 2560x1440 does sound tempting, but I'd have to buy a new computer to enjoy it. Over £1000 quid spent this month on necessary paperwork keeping the car legal on the road this month. Plus new tyres :(
Reply to
Adrian C

Yup, a pair of them would do ;-)

Reply to