[OT] Music CDs

I still run it, on an isolated machine, to support a scanner that *I* want to keep alive!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I still do and have one connected to my 2014 iMac.

We have dual boot machines here with linux and windows, we don't use NT, it;s over 25 years old and superceeded by better systems.

Then just dumped everything in an untiled folder then yuo;ll know everything is in your one untitled folder simples ;-)

You couldn't put a photo from a smartphone on an 8 inch floppy can you ?

What do you mean by 'irreplacable' ?

Well using a cloud service is slower than a directly connected drive.

Reply to
whisky-dave

FLAC is lossless compressed audio, so no loss of resolution. Obviously, nowhere near as small as an MP3 can be - usually around 40% of the size the the raw CD track.

Originally, I had the raw CD tracks saved, but at some point I ran through them all, compressing them to FLAC when I started running out of disk space on the server at some point.

They're backed up to an online and and offline archive on-site, and an offline archive off-site.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not in my experience. Even worse than Win NT

Reply to
Andrew

I still have loads of slides to work through.

I also frequent house-clearance 'shops' and regularly find other peoples old slides of interesting places and things.

I have a box full of pre-kodachrome slides taken in various parts of Africa when they were probably part of the 'empire'.

They are so old the colours have shifted and they have curled up after the glue in the holder dried out.

I have a special 35mm holder with anti-newton glass for this scanner which makes it possible to scan them and correcting the colours and automatically removing dust marks is easy.

Reply to
Andrew

and on one makes a slide scanner anymore ?

Well my SCSI scanner does slides and so does my Epson Perfection V600. If you want to can slides why haven;t yuo done it yet ?

So, slide scanners have impoved in the last 20+ years.

Well the longer yuo leave it the more likely they are to degrade, and perhaps using an old scnner might not be the best bet. The fiorst scaner I had acess to was a Appleone scanner, and only did B&W and was SCSI IIRC, thre;s no way I;d try to find out how to get it up and running on my retina 5K iMac when for about £200 my V600 is far far better.

Yes they don;t loike getting old, but who does so why have you left it so long before scanning them in.

my V600 can do that.

So what scanner is thios you ant to keep using ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

FWIW I have a Canon scanner that was supported only up to Win98. On later OS's it doesn't work at all. Although it still works I can't even give it away now.

Reply to
Mark

I've also never owned an Apple Product -- too overpriced for me.

Dual boot should work although I've not tried it myself. If I want different OSs then I use VMs.

--snip--

Can you actually read 8" floppys now?

--snip--

Reply to
Mark

VueScan, which runs on Windows too I believe, keeps my ancient Canon scanner working usefully.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

These days MINT is easier to install and get running than any windows is.

The only thing is that windows comes preinstalled...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes I'm sure there;s some stone age bits of flint arround that still work if you want to cut anything.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well they are expensive I guess, but so are porsches.

I don't consider it too over priced, I've upgraded the OS a number of times as and when Apple release them for FREE, or rather included in the original price. Never had a virus or anyhting like that either.

my 2014 imac is still working and is my main computer, I've never had to re-isnstall the software, all the hardware still works, it's never crashed out on me or frozen, not had an issue with any hardware I have not working on it, other than perhaps my old SCSI scanner. My mac mini of 2010 is also still working, other than change the working HD for a SSD that's still working too. So for me the above reasons I don't think they are overpriced.

In that I can have triple boot so if I wanted I could have mac, linux and windows. I think they do that in the Mac lab we have. I tried it and so have friends it seems to work quite well in fact better than on a PC, in that if it gets corrupted you can just copy it back over no need to re-install. You cna also run Mac OS and PC together and flick between them in an instant unlike windows and linux. I installed linux once on a Mac in the late 90s, had it working for a few weeks but couldn't find anything to use it for.

I can't, which is a good reason not to have anything stored on them that you need.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well, I don't have a Porsche either.

That's great for you but several of my friends have had troubles with Apple products, like crashses and freezes. YMMV.

--snip--

Reply to
Mark

In message <1o1x2fi.1ixt23uxd5cucN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk>, D.M. Procida snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk> writes

Unfortunately, that doesn't work with my Petiscan scanner. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of a modern scanner that can be accurately placed over old photos in decrepit albums.

Reply to
Bill

In message <q2cmtv$eqk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

Unless it has changed recently, Linux has always been a nightmare with audio setups, and has involved serious hassle when interfacing external equipment. I did invest in software, Harrison Mixbus, that ran on Windows or Linux, but eventually gave up on the Linux version because of the difficulty with multitrack recording and playback. At the time I tried Mint and AVLinux. I still have a laptop set up with the latter, but never use it.

Reply to
Bill

Me niether but peole do, why when they can get a car for a fraction of the price, or get the bus for free.

The last time I had a freeze was about 7 years ago, when I connected a belkin USB hub the whole computer just froze and I had to switch it off and restart. Everything still worked but whenever I tried to connect the USB hub it just froze. Maybe it's that I work in a lab with 36 PC's and there's alsways a few down that need sorting. there's 2 now that have been out of action for a week or so.

Would you like to compare the numbers of viruses for each platform and which get infected the most.

Reply to
whisky-dave

yuo might be better off with a digital camera or perhaps a high end camera phone.

But is there any reason you can't remove the photos from the albums ?

Even our photocopier can scan photos even when still in the album provided you can make it sit flat enough on the glass.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most of the musicians I know use Macs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, whisky-dave snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Most of the ones I've met, and most ex- broadcasters, use PC's. Macs were used, but mainly as front ends to systems like ProTools. PC based systems were cheaper, much more flexible and less restrictive, and this gave access to better-performing software.

When last I looked, the trend in small studios round here was towards dedicated record direct to hard disk boxes, followed by mixdown on hardware or software systems. Fashionistas chose Macs, the poor chose PC's. I've not actually met anyone using Linux, although the dedicated boxes are presumably Linux based.

None of this is relevant, though. Obsolete, but well performing, outboard equipment will still need drivers and appropriate busses whether Mac or anything else.

Reply to
Bill

Really, maybe before macs that was true which is why you state ex-broadcasters. And I was talking about individual musician that couldn't afford the higher end professional recording studios.

Well a friend of mine spent £30k on stuidio about 10 years ago and he uses Macs. Because the software (pro-logic I think) wasn't avaible on PCs or linux, but perhaps he wanted to use what he was used to and made money from. I see more macs used on stage than PCs.

One of the big plusses of using a mac (previously not so true with modern PCs) was relibility and quality. PCs kept crashing.

Did you know that brian eno wrote the windows startup sound on a Mac because he didn't like PCs, because they kept crashing.

I heard MIDI 2.0 is being released.

Yes and that was the problem with PC's getting drivers to work without conflicting DLLS , no such thing with Apple as they wrote both software and hardware so didn't rely on 3rd party developers.

Reply to
whisky-dave