OT:Mumnset

For various reasons, I've been directed to this site, and occasionally make the odd - usually informational (as opposed to opinional) post.

It's only been a couple of weeks, but, assuming the majority of MN is female, it's clear there is a different kind of thinking going on. The most common seems to be:

OP: Something or other, leading to PP PP PP: Loads of debate with some sort of misunderstanding or question PP PP PP PP

ME: highlight misunderstanding, or provide answer to question

PP PP PP: Loads of debate with some sort of misunderstanding or question PP: (as if I hadn't posted) PP PP PP

hours (or days) later

AP: restatement of correction or answer

PP PP PP: Loads of debate with some sort of misunderstanding or question PP: (as if I hadn't posted) PP PP PP

I'm not saying women are incapable of listening. But if they were, they would feel at home on MN ....

The plus side is some delicious swearing. Much more creative than men ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've just read today in the news that one in four women are on medication for a mental disorder. This has really brought home to me, the gravity of the situation. This means three out of four women aren't receiving the medical treatment they need!

Reply to
Andy Cap

They are probbaly deliberately ignoring you because you are a man. Seems about right for that site.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When my daughter wrote her university linguistics dissertation, some of it was comparing the simplistic discourse in Mumsnet to the rather cryptic goings on in uk.rec sheds.

She got a 1st!

Reply to
Graham.

and this differs from Usenet in general, how exactly ?

Usenet and online forums often aren't about answering questions. They're about promoting discussion, often totally unrelated to the original topic.

The easy way to kill off any forum, apart from trolls is to have smartarses providing killer answers to questions, early on in any thread.

And this differs from Usenet in general, how exactly ?

That's assuming they're all actually women, and not men masquerading as women of course.

Eh Diedre ?

michael adams

michael adams

In article , Graham. writes

Now a qualified linguist _and_ an accomplished gamekeeper (licensed to shoot rats in a barrel :-)

For Jethro, I'm sure there's a saying about arguing with (or correcting) idiots. I've frequently gained more mileage by agreeing with them in such a way as to point out how ridiculous their point of view is (frequently found to be infuriating). I would never dream of bating the rabid beavers on mumsnet though.

Reply to
fred

I just got punched in the nuts...

Reply to
Tim Watts

What happens if you pretend to be a girl? Or can they detect that?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
Bob Eager

Something to do with lack of cushions, t*ts, small-talk or empathy.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Unless they hack my laptop, they will not see my t*ts...

Reply to
Tim Watts

or your cushions :-)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Women who have calved inherit the belief that they are the centre of the world and that it really does revolve around them. That, intelligence wise, it's a straight fight between them and Einstein; but it's really them as Einstein is dead. So there's no point in listening to anyone else, especially men.

And they only get worse post-menopause. Put three post-mp women together and watch how they all talk at the same time without listening to a single thing the other says.

Reply to
Scott M

yup, the missing cushions are a real giveaway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good for her!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Seriously I would love to read it. Has it been published?

Reply to
Peter Crosland

What is this thing about cushions on beds?

In a hotel recently, before we could get into bed, I had to deal with 2 spare pillows (acceptable), 7 cushions and a bed runner, then untuck the two layers of duvet to allow room for our feet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I recall witnessing a conversation between two rather younger women of my acquaintance. I soon realised that each was pursuing a completely different thread, and was simply waiting for the other to pause long enough to dive in again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I recently flung the cushions across the hotel room with such vehemence I broke one of the stupid desk lamps. They didn't seem to mind. Perhaps it happens with some frequency?

Reply to
Huge

No idea what you are on about. i have found though that forums seem to contain, much more repition and confusion. I put this down to the very clunky interface of a web based system in contrast to mail lists and usenet groups, which are simple and easy to use. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff