OT: More dentistry

Anyone had a crown fitted recently? A post crown if it makes a difference? How long did the dentist let the cement set before removing the excess?

I've had one come off, and went to my (new) NHS dentist to have it fixed and he started fiddling with it near immediately while the cement was still soft. And it fell out the same day. Tried again - same result. When it was fitted (private) the dentist waited a full five minutes before attempting to remove the excess. But that was a few years ago - I wondered if the cement setting times had improved since then. The new NHS dentist does everything at 100 mph - presumably to make a bigger profit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My missus has crowns drop off on a regular basis, 1 week, 2 weeks maybe a month or two. Each time we go they glue it back on (kinda) and I say "same time next week?" tho I don't think they understand. Bloody good job they don't want paying each time.

It's a funny thing, but when I was at school, I thought that you went to work for a few laughs. Never did I realise that you went to make money. Dentists, vets and solicitors, THOSE are the jobs I'm going for when I'm reincarnated. A license for legal daylight robbery.

Reply to
brass monkey

Libel lawyer, leading counsel, senior medical consultant, chief exec etc. Snag is you have to be reasonably bright and prepared to put hours in.

Reply to
Invisible Man

That's not very good. I can't really remember the last time my crown dropped off, maybe 6 or more years ago. I think it has come off once since we moved up here but that was 12 years ago... It's front tooth though not a molar so doesn't get quite the hammering molars do but all the same.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep, wifeys is an incisor. Seems to me that, as usual, it's just a job, bring on Friday and the pay cheque. The public (our clients) have problems? Tough shit.

Reply to
brass monkey

Hours and Hours and Hours working with your fingers in someone elses fetid mouth breathing their dog's breath.

Derek G.

Reply to
Derek G.

Post crowns can be shit hairy, and unfortunately the more daring the dentist tries to conserve the tooth be the hairyer it is.

The more radical the prep the bigger the post and the more secure the fiation. Unfortunately this results in more material being removed from the wall of the root which may then split as a consequence.

Derek G.

Reply to
Derek G.

I recently spent £500 to have a difficult root job done. Judging by the equipment he has it must cost a King's ransom to purchase it. Also did you know that all dentist have back problems, due to leaning over so much? As regards the cement setting I assume there are many types. My dentist sets it with UV light, takes seconds. I have a crown in for a number of years with no problems. Had one 3 months ago, no problems yet. Will be having 2 more in the next month or 2, so fingers crossed. I guess that if they come out a NH dentist gets paid for each visit, whereas a private dentist does not, perhaps there is a connection there?

Reply to
Moonraker

crown

Seems to me it's time to change dentist, unless she is in the habit of gnawing hard things or taking bites out of hard/firm food.

Changing dentist might not be that easy these days at least if you want to be on their NHS list. Might be worth ringing round a few and seeing what they say both to NHS and the problem with the crown.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need a better dentist.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ever wonder why the suicide rate is high?

Reply to
dennis

Actually, there's a good dentist at the practice, the owner. Trouble is, he spends most of his time expanding his empire instead of dentisting. I think he has 10 rooms/dentists now, and that's just at one of his practices.

Reply to
brass monkey

I've got several, and not had that problem. This one is quite old and I realise they don't last for ever. But I do know disturbing any cement before it has set isn't the way to go. My last dentist would get you to press it in place for about 5 minutes before trimming off the excess. This one did it immediately.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I realise all that. But just wanted to know how long the cement should be left to set before removing the excess. The first time he did it it came out the same day. Second time lasted a week or so. But in neither case did he let it set as long as the original fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got several crowns, and not one used UV cured material. That was reserved for fillings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As others have said my (NHS) dentist plays some kind of UV light on the area and my crowns have not moved in the two years I have had them. 3 done along with other bits and bobs for £195.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I have three crowned teeth, first one was done getting on for thirty years ago, none of them has ever fallen off.

Reply to
tinnews

Is it just me? or does anyone else find these posts about dentistry in a *DIY* group deeply disturbing?

I know they're marked OT, but I still get this terrible image ...

Reply to
Martin Bonner

The equipment costs an arm and a leg - you have to pay for decent premises and your staff wages. I guess it is a good job - but consider the training needed and the implications if your health suffers. No-one wants a shaky dentist.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Clough?

Reply to