OT: Moon and Jupiter (2023 Update)

My point is that human eyes cannot distinguish between a true orange - the colour of a Sodium street lamp - and a blend of red and green.

We call both orange, even when one of them isn't. In the same way we call an orange with slightly reduced saturation and greatly decreased lightness brown.

Human eyes are really bad. We can't see polarisation at all.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Of course that's true, but it's rather different to say orange doesn't exist, instead of saying our eyes/brain are fooled into seeing a mixture of red and green as orange.

They do a reasonable job ... is Darwinism working to "fix" our colour issues?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Darwinism doesn't select the fittest, it eliminates the total numpties. Or did until the rise in the Nanny State.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, because there is no real selective advantage with that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sometimes it does.

And does that too.

In reality even before that, plenty of the total numptys bred like flys/rabbits.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If we had blue tigers attacking us from out of the green grass, we might be able distinguish those colours better ... actually I seem to have pretty good colour vision according to that test where you have to drag/drop coloured tiles into sequence (pretty bad myopia though, the tigers would get me that way).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think we only have three colour vision so we can tell ripe fruit from unripe, or fruit from leaves. Otherwise it makes no difference if something is red or green.

Reply to
Max Demian

Likely, but that's a separate issue to evolution still happening with humans.

It isnt with color vision.

Reply to
Rod Speed