Brighten the nights with the moon?

If we covered the moon in aluminium foil, how much brighter would our nights be?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nine times brighter.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Does that not depend on whether you use the shinier side or the duller side of the foil? I understand that a Mr P Floyd tried the experiment but foolishly he only covered the dark side of the moon.

Reply to
Bev

Twice as bright as the OP.

Reply to
Thomas

Well, how much would that cost to achieve though? There are serious crags and mountains on the moon, and remember you probably only need the side facing us covered its true. but its a convex area, and hence you would have different lighting dependent on the phases of the moon. Not very practical, or consistent.

I thought the idea was to put a Venetian blind between us and the sun to control the earths temperature. There is a spot in a resonance with the orbit that this could be done of course but the size would be huge and hence the forces on it even from the solar wind would be an issue.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Don't give up the day job.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You mean the L1 Lagrange point; on the sunward side, while the James Webb telescope is heading for the L2. It's about four times as far away as the moon, so a moon sized reflector there could deflect about 1/16 of the solar output. We'd need an astronomer to tell us the solar and radiation forces on that. Presumably if it was heavy enough, the gravitational dynamics would keep it stably in position.

Reply to
newshound

Well that's educated me, I didn't realise it kept *exactly* in synch to face us with the same side all the time, but it does due to something called synchronous rotation, a "tidal lock". Haven't read enough to explain it. Odd name, since the moon doesn't have a sea to have a tide.

There's a surplus of aluminium foil, it wraps all the Mr Kipling cakes for example.

Somebody somewhere told me painting it white would be better, so the light wasn't bounced off all at the wrong angle.

We don't need our temperature reduced. But funnily enough I was just watching something about the Webb telescope, sent on the 21st of December into a very high orbit involving the sun's and earth's gravity, to pick up infra red from the beginnings of the universe, which was ultra violet but has stretched. They need to shield it from infra red from the sun, the earth, and the moon, so have installed a 5 layer shield above it, looking like a sort of tent awning. It has an SPF (as in the factor of sun lotion) of 750,000.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you dug down to that point, would weird shit happen?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Schroedinger's cat was misunderstood.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cats are not masters, they're morons.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You called me a boy. Are you imagining a young naked thing?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They're not even aware of their own tail.

Try putting an unopened can of food in front of them, they get so confused.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You deleted the insult, try again.

Reply to