[OT] maybe French farmers

Any idea why the frnech farmer as spraying cyclists or anyone else ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

french copper accidentally pepper sprayed the cyclists when trying to stop farmers chucking hay bales in front of riders?

no idea why pissed the farmers off though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The givemment hasnt arranged for rain.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , whisky-dave writes

Do they need a reason?

Reply to
bert

The story that I have heard is that the French farmers are protesting about something as usual (I don't know what) and they are blocking the roads. It was the police that tear-gassed them and some of it drifted onto the cyclists.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

When they see what brexit does to British farmers they will realise how lucky they are.

The NFU says it is going to an 'Agricultural Armageddon' if there is no deal

TW

Reply to
TimW

Although Dominic Raab has said that the government will do what it can to make sure that we don't actually run short of food...

..; so that's alright then.

TW

Reply to
TimW

You do talk silly. If there's a food shortage the farmers will be rubbing their hands in glee.

You should be able to remember the car registration P year. It stood for potato when a shortage that year meant farmers could charge what they liked and afford themselves new cars.

Reply to
Fredxx

particularly since there's a drought affectin the harvest.

Reply to
charles

The more I hear of this 'plan' (Ha!) the happier I am (not).

It really comes down to there not being 'a price too high' that the fanatic Brexiteers are willing for us all to pay to cater to *their* ideals.

The real pity is that is was decided by a 4% who could so easily have been racists (who most right minded people wouldn't want voting in their name) and / or just believed the hype (most of which was discredited a few days later). 'Better to get forgiveness than permission'.

Add to that the fact that it's cost a PM, the UKIP leader (no loss there of course) loads of MPs, the Brexit Minister and if not for the coalition, the government, it doesn't sound like a plan generally supported by anything like 'most people' (well, it wasn't, just 1/3rd of the electorate of course).

I'm sure someone will be creating their own database ... the addresses of all the fanatic Brexiteers so we will have some extra food if we need it. Can you live on caviar? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

and the price of chips rocketed and they never really came back down again, should it really cost over a quid for 20ps worth of chips ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

They are obviously worth the price or people wouldn't buy them. There is no fixed relation to the cost of making something to the price of buying it. You sell it for what you can get. If its less than cost you stop making it.

Reply to
dennis

Is this not good sport for all bored farmers, it used to be walkers as well here when the local fields were in cultivation, a mist of muck was created by a tractor with spray arms out each side and the trick was to achieve the turn as the walker happened to appear in the clearing near a corner. Obviously great sport and of course entirely accidental! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good luck running a business selling chips at 20p.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Rent, Business Rates, Water rates, gas bills, staff costs, business start up costs, .....

If you want cheap chips, buy the spuds and fry your own at home.

Reply to
Andrew

NOte all those £100K+ German-built tractors that these 'poor' farmers can afford to buy with their (UK tax-payer subsidised) CAP and Area Payments.

Reply to
Andrew

ain, should it really cost over a quid for 20ps worth of chips ?

that applies to everything in the shop not just chips.

If you want a clean car use an automated car wash don't employ slaves at £2.50 an hour to make others rich.

Pay for what those in the UK ask for to clean a car, not what those importe d car cleaners are told to work for. That goes for cheap sex too or DIY it ;-P

Reply to
whisky-dave

and then you need a cooker (with fuel) and a chip pan.

Reply to
charles

Well this was covered on the BBC R4 Farming program first broadcast at

05:45 On Monday July ?16th. Definately a monday.

Charlotte Smith was talking to a fruit grower in PErthshire who wanted the temporary fruit-pickers permits reinstated because they were leaving fruit to rot because of lack of pickers.

Charlotte posed the question ' why not pay them more ?'.

Grower replied 'we tried that, but then we lost half our pickers before the end of their agreed period, because once they had earned enough, they just left'.

So if you pay pickers £275 per hour you'll only see them for a couple of hours a week, leaving most of the crop unpicked.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah yes, but then your expensive alloy wheels and calipers wont get the acid treatment, and all the crap around door reveals won't be cleaned awy.

On the bright side, once they have 2 years 'contributions' they will leave (with their P45), nip back to Romania and return with wife and

5 kids in tow demanding 'free' education and a house (shown on C4 'How to get a council house').
Reply to
Andrew