OT - low temperature wash

And you were all hot and steamy?
Thomas Prufer
On 20/07/2015 09:30, Thomas Prufer wrote:

we were that :-)
On Friday, 17 July 2015 11:52:20 UTC+1, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

Commercial laundries use chemicals not available to the public. Really nasty stuff. If we had a leak, it was handled as if it was radioactive.
On Friday, 17 July 2015 11:52:20 UTC+1, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

Also, flat items are dried on a "Calender" (rollers heated with steam). They go in damp and come off dry. Only linen and cotton will stand this treatment. But nothing living can survive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSWD3c-utg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogRIPeUfe_A

Two thoughts:
1) The British public (and probably all in the western world), are neurotically and unnecessarily obsessed with the hazards of 'germs'. Those that can do real harm are few and far between. It's not as though we suffer the ravages of tropical diseases, and our immune systems can cope with the rest, if properly trained (which they probably aren't these days, due to our neurotic and unnecessary obsession, see above).
2) Detergents in dishwashers wash away the germs along with the food residues; it's what they do. Just like soap when you wash your hands. You don't have to wash your hands in bleach or boiling water to remove germs. Dishwasher detergents are probably sufficiently caustic to kill the germs anyway, irrespective of temperature.
--

Chris

Yup.
And unless the clothing has been exposed to some significant nasty, I'm not sure what we are supposed to be catching from clothes washed at 30C or whatever (and again, surely the detergent will get most of them?)
--
Chris French

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:08:49 +0100, Chris French wrote:
<snippage> > And unless the clothing has been exposed to some significant nasty, I'm

A lot of the clothing I have is limited, on the label, to 40C; some to 30C, so a higher temperature would risk damaging them. The bedding and some clothes are rated for 60C - that's not high enough to kill the nasties. Now, I can't recall the exact temperature, but ISTR that the water samples I used to test for bacteria were incubated at somewhere close to 40C as being the ideal temperature for the bacteria to multiply. This seem to make 40C the worst temperature: doesn't kill and does encourage bacteria whilst using significant energy(1). At 30C, it's about the same as the clothes would be when worn as a single layer, so no change; at 20C, if the detergent does work well(2), the energy is much less than at 40C (obviuosly) and the bugs will be "out of their comfort zone" (sorry).
(1) Sadly, I log the energy per wash. The difference between 30C and 40C, with the smae loading and close in time so that the incoming water will be about the same, is around 35%.
(2) In Asda t'other day (sorry again - looking at LED lamps, honest) the own-brand non-bio powder boasted of being suitable for 15C. A recent wash at 20C used about 30% of the energy of a 30C one, although I didn't see the current go up to indicate the heaters being on, but I might have missed it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 18/07/2015 10:00, PeterC wrote:

The washing cycle is not just water. There is also the process of thoroughly drying. Irrespective of how hot the wash if damp clothes are left in a pile they will start to 'smell' within a very short period as organisms in the air find a new home.

I assume that detergent is not added to the 40C water when growing bacteria and it isn't followed by a spin/rinse cycle

15C washing detergent has been on sale in UK supermarkets for a decade or more and I believe in the USA for a lot longer. Often as 'own brand' and often a half the price (or lower) than some of the widely advertised branded offerings.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 18/07/2015 10:00, PeterC wrote:

37C at a guess. Blood heat.
Andy

Well, quite. Some of the most powerful bugs around are in your gut. And therefore on your hands etc after having a s**t. ;-)
--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Have they not invented bog paper round your way Dave?

Does that mean you don't wash your hands after having a shit?
You might be surprised just how far such bugs get scattered during that operation. Onto your clothes and surrounding surfaces. Enjoy your dinner.
--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

:) I shall...

And thousands of people die every day in the UK as a result.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Which certainly knocks heart disease and cancer into a cocked hat
At 365,000 + per annum you'd imagine the Govt would mount a publicity campaign or something about this given that the total deaths for England and Wales from all causes was only 506,790 in 2013
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/2013/stb-deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales-in-2013-by-cause.html
michael adams

So you wash all your clothes and swab down the bathroom every time as well then ?
michael adams

Of course not. But I don't waste money on anti-bacterial sprays for work surfaces either, which according to TV advertising are essential.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

So what is the point in washing just your hands ?

What is the point in you, Wodney?
Are you simply a computer programme designed to contradict every statement made?
--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster