OT Lonely Planet says Yorkshire 'one of top global places'

Adam Funk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ducksburg.com:

"During the trial, the court was told that Boycott pinned Miss Moore down and punched her 20 times in the face before checking out and leaving her to pay the bill."

"Boycott denied the allegations, saying 45-year-old Miss Moore had slipped after flying into a rage when he refused to marry her."

He was convicted and given a suspended 3-month prison sentence.

He denied the charge, but didn't turn up for the trial. Odd behaviour for someone trying to clear his name. (He later appealed, and lost, and did attend court that time, but I don't think he was at risk of having his sentence unsuspended.)

In 2003 he got married to Rachael Swinglehurst, who had been his lover for something like 30 years.

"Of his wife he says: 'Shes lucky to have me. I keep telling her. I could have got fulltime help in and less lip.'"

On women: "If there were misunderstandings then they werent listening."

"These help me appreciate Boycotts genius for making enemies. His worst feuds have been with his fellow Yorkshiremen, notably Fred Trueman, Brian Close and Ray Illingworth. I suppose its because Yorkshiremen are strong-minded and individualistic, Boycott says when I ask why this is."

Funny how most other Yorkshiremen don't make so many enemies, then! But logic is never the strong point of someone who knows it all.

"Before he appeared on In the Psychiatrists Chair in 1987 he told Dr Anthony Clare, Youll get nowt from me, Mister. After the programme, a gibbering Dr Clare said he had had to revise his opinion that no man is an island."

One of the funniest bits in that article is the following untruth:

"I dont describe myself at all."

Reply to
Harry Davis

[...]

"Mr Pounder" wrote in news:l4u7f2$v6v$1 @dont-email.me:

What - Cornwall, Dorset, Wiltshire, Surrey, London, or Kent, or all they essentially the same?

Reply to
Harry Davis

They are all inhabited by cockneys.

Reply to
harryagain

"harryagain" wrote in news:l4vkvo$7lf$9@dont- email.me:

I thought there must be a reason why the East End of London is widely known as Thomas Hardy country, ad why Truro feels just like Chatham.

Reply to
Harry Davis

Too far north for me. Grey and damp, and makes me suicidal

Reply to
stuart noble

I stand corrected. I just like(d) his cricket commentary.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Well yer know what to do then.

Bill