Yorkshire tea ... one for Bill maybe

Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with hard water?
As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?
On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 15:54:25 +0000, Scott wrote:

Yorkshire tea comes in two varieties - one for hard water and one for soft water. We have softwater here and use the same (softwater) tea when we visit Scotland to get an excellent cuppa.
The original YT was for softwater.

How do you identify these? Is there some sort of production code?
Scott wrote:

red label = soft, green label = hard
On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 16:13:31 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Unless you are colour blind - in which case its the other way round <grins>

I can't help thinking it is largely mar kiting bollocks.
Now where a differential mar kiting strategy would be useful is in the detergent business, but yet the shelves of my local supermarkets in Manchester carry the same range of water softening products as those in London, and there is no water hardness specific dosing instructions on the dishwasher and laundry products we use.
The result is far too much is pored down the drain. I use half a Lidl "W5" dishwasher tablet and between a quarter and a third of the recommended washing machine powder dose and get good results
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

At one time did they produce regional variations of washing powder?
On 08/11/2019 17:47, Graham. wrote:

That's odd. Dishwashers have built in softeners, so should not be affected by hard water.
Andy
On 08/11/2019 15:54, Scott wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own water to make tea.
Bill
On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Too right!
The Lea starts beyond Luton and the 18,000,000L of spring water are augmented by 48,000,000L (these are old figures) of treated sewage at East Hyde. I used to chuckle watching my father's cows cock their tails while standing in the river knowing that some of this would be pumped out at Chingford to supply part of North London.

--
Tim Lamb

On 08/11/2019 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:

Far enough for the MPs?
--
Adam

No. Although Thames water is reckoned to be recycled 5 times before reaching the sea!

--
Tim Lamb

On 09/11/2019 20:29, Tim Lamb wrote:

There's no myth like an old myth - though when I was a lad Londoners usually put it more explicitly on the lines of "that water's probably been through [N]* sets of kidneys before yours".
*where N is an integer which varied, but tended to be higher where "water" was replaced by "beer"
--
Robin
On 08/11/2019 20:21, alan_m wrote:

No I take it in a sealed container.
Bill
It tasted OK In Guernsey, which has soft water. Brian
--
----- --

You’re not meant to drink the water in London. Just about fit for flushing the loo with but not much else.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 08/11/2019 22:29, Tim+ wrote:

Yes I suppose so. It's a Third World city.
Bill
On 09/11/2019 03:47, Bill Wright wrote:

Full of 3rd world refugees (millions from the EU).
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 09/11/2019 08:26, alan_m wrote:

It's the cockneys that are annoying.