OT: Laughing Gas

I know I've lived a comparatively sheltered life, but what are the non-medical reasons that nitrous oxide is available in high-street shops, only to result in kids buying it for 'recreational purposes'? I accept that it might be required by some people for medical reasons (but what, in particular?), in which case why is it not prescription only?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I think it's for use in squirty "cream whippers"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cream whipping. You get things like soda siphons that you fill with cream and pressurise with N2O. Quick shake and it squirts out whipped cream.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nitrous oxide is used in souped up cars to give a bit of a boost to the engine performance such as in drag racing

See

So people are buying the cans and diverting the cans for alternative uses....

Reply to
SH

They’re not buying the sparklet sized bulbs for sale in the high street!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah yes - these things.

I'm not surprised Gove/Sunack are clamping down on it if such a seemingly trivial application is the cause of anti-social behaviour. Are there no alternatives for cream frothers - Sparklets CO2 bulbs, for example, or even just nitrogen? Is N2O soluble at moderate pressures, to come out of solution when the pressure is release and so give the foam effect?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Given what a massive success the War on Drugs[1] has been, the only sensible conclusion is that Nitrous Oxide dealers have bunged Rishi and Gove (who we already know has dodgy connections) a few grand to help them clean up.

I presume the same motivations are driving the Illegal Migration Bill - the people smugglers having bunged Braverman a few quid to help their business model.

[1]extreme sarcasm.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sodding News client, grrr:

OK take 2: Winky is your friend:

Tim Streater

cream

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

I wouldn't mind but the little bastards justleave them at their arses in the car pak accross the road....and their carry outs....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

And some people who drag race cars at the drag-strip use it.

Even some modified road cars use it.

Reply to
SteveW

My son (a chef) has had a foam gun (for cream) for years. He uses the small cartridges in that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

N2O is a very bad greenhouse gas it seems.

Reply to
Tim Streater

For about 30 seconds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think in small quantities it is supposed to be harmless, but one of the biggest issues now is all the litter it is creating.

I suspect it may get banned soon, due to its mass misuse. Still you have to legislate for idiots these days, I suppose. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tut tut, Co2, a gas we do not want in the atmosphere, unless of course you happen to be a plant. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ban it and they will find something else to misuse.

Reply to
alan_m

The government just like banning things.

N2O was first called "laughing gas" by Sir Humphrey Davy who had laughing gas parties with his mates.

Reply to
Max Demian

What's wrong with Birds Dream Droppings ?

Reply to
Andrew

Comes from Limerick. Must be joke in there somewhere

Reply to
Andrew