OT: Laptop upgrade

Its my experience with Lenovo that there are subtle differences between the plastics used in the different sub models and transplants seldom work.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

You have realistically done the things that can usually be done with laptops (i.e. more RAM and a SSD).

CPU swaps *may* sometimes be an option (assuming you can desolder, reball, and mount the new cpu), but only within the range of CPUs that match the "socket" (i.e. pinout) of the one being replaced. Even then you have to watch the thermal impact of a change - just because you can get a higher spec CPU on the board, does not mean the rest of the system can supply adequate power to run it, or shift the extra heat.

In cases where for example you have an i3 CPU which is pinout and generation compatible with an i5, and the maker also does the same model with an i5, then yes a swap may be viable - and give a worthwhile step in performance. In cases like this where even the best CPU available that will fit the system is is still many times slower that what would be a realistic minimum spec today, its a bit of a lost cause.

So that means either relegating the machine to an application where the speed is not an issue (e.g. being a low power controller for a NAS, or running a network TV tuner), or switching to an OS and application stack that will give adequate performance on the hardware in question (win95 would probably be blisteringly quick on it!).

Reply to
John Rumm

Its a myth, you may have to use the phone to activate after changing the MB but they will activate it.

Reply to
invalid
<snip>

Thanks for that heads up Adrian.

I created a bootable USB and booted it on an old Satellite Pro and it worked first time and ok.

I say 'ok' because I've only played briefly with a real Chromebook so don't really know my way around them but did install some apps / extensions and they ran ok as well.

I will be interested to try it (and install it) on some of the lower power machines I have here.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m