OT: Kellingley pit shuts and causes leftist dilemma

No but they do, you know. I heard a woman (doctor's waiting room) explaining to her child that the shops bought things for a lower price than they sold them. She said it in tones that suggested such a thing was immoral.

It gives the reader an idea of the man's basic attitudes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

My head's spinnin. So you start by telling me to f*ck off but you agree with me? Are you Polish?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What, is Arthur in this group?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's easier than winding my Corbyn-loving neice up.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Semi skilled.

Semi skilled

Skilled but becoming de skilled all the time.

Reply to
dennis

The costs of crime and vandalism in the ex-mining areas is enormous.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just how many days does it take to learn a new tool/language?

Once you have the basics its easy to change the way you work in software. I know as I have worked my way through ASM86, plm86, embedded SQL, C, java, and few others on real time systems, database machines, unix machines, etc. That was after I designed loads of hardware using TTL, MOS and microprocessors. It is not difficult.

Reply to
dennis

A lot of the degree courses only produce shelf stacker people. For example what job is a media studies grad going to do?

Reply to
dennis

Which is why we are going fracking and closing coal mines.

Reply to
dennis

No, it isn't. There are people who add value to create wealth that wasn't there before. And there are those that at least perform useful services to those who create wealth.

Then there is the public sector...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bollocks.

Designing said jet enghine is very skilled

Bollocks. See above.

The skill moves up a level, that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not even possible, the difference in wage rates is so dramatic.

And that is even more so with doctors.

Reply to
Mike Lander

The media - sadly...

Rather than the somewhat more useful people with history, politics, economics, science and engineering degrees - and that's just journalism.

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK - at this point I can, with due respect, call "nonsense".

If that were the case, why can RBS (as rubbish as they are as a bank in other respects) manage to have their call centre in Scotland and even take calls at the branch - whereas some other banks bung you through to an Indian call centre?

Ditto ISPs.

Ditto retailers.

Clearly it is quite viable to use British call centres - unless you are being cheap and want to make a bit of extra profit at your customers' inconvenience and the detriment of a few potentially employable British citizens.

So clearly this needs an incentive to do the right thing, because some wont...

While we are on the subject, tax needs sorting out too - in particular corporation tax.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No you can't because no one has done that world wide.

They have chosen to do that. They haven't been encouraged to do that in the way you propose.

Ditto with both.

It remains to be seen how long those who still have local call centres continue to do that when their competitors do things more cheaply and pass those lower costs onto their customers.

Have fun listing any country that has done that.

Easier said than done.

Reply to
Mike Lander

That's the problem. If the financial services go t*ts up, what's left?

Reply to
Martin

only because of the way employed are counted. Unemployed self employed don't count as being unemployed. Those working a fraction of a week zero hours are counted as working.

Reply to
Martin

Irish medical staff trained in UK return to Ireland because they can earn more at home.

Reply to
Martin

and the country to which VAT is paid for items bought in UK.

Reply to
Martin

You get the same result when you use the OECD way of counting too.