OT - Junk Mail

We're in a Conservation Area so there is a gardens policy to consider also.

Reply to
Scott

Either there is a good reason not to park on a pavement or there's not.

The logical way would have been to modify the pavements so the parking bays were all road, not part pavement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No different from many basically Victorian town centres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't Victorian town centres have parking controls then (which is the issue under discussion)?

Reply to
Scott

Probably the cheap option as it doesn't require any of the roadside drains to be modified. Around my way where part of the pavement is now designated as a parking bay the kerb stones were removed and a slope created between the pavement level and the road cutter level. Cars park with two wheels slightly higher than the other two wheels.

Reply to
alan_m

I've seen broken white lines on the pavement showing how far cars are allowed to park on them. And road signs that indicate that you are allowed to part partly on the pavement.

Reply to
Max Demian

Unlikely, to reinforce the lobbying the issue of safety has been raised and the likely outcome is that double yellow lines will be painted on one side of the road. Some of the residents may get the permits they are asking for but not the solution they think they may get.

I wouldn't trust those on the councils' highway department to wipe their own arses. After spending millions of a junction improvement and seriously delaying commuter traffic for over a year they are currently completely redesigning the same junction and have throttled the throughput by 50% while they dig up what they did 2 years ago. I expect the work to take another 6 months. I suspect that they performed a traffic survey when there were major roadworks[1] a mile or two further on and a lot of commuters were turning off to use rat-runs to avoid the delays. As a result this turn-off became a major part of the junction design with its own slip road which no-one now uses since the original road works were completed.

[1] Another junction improvement which included provision for a bus lane

- on a junction that has never been, nor will ever be, on the local bus routes.

Reply to
alan_m

Oh when I lived somewhere like that I would move my car when the commuters had freed up the space

tim

Reply to
tim...