Totally OT - Medical

I often find myself wondering why so many people - perhaps mainly women - have legs that crank outwards below the knees. They walk with thighs rubbing yet feet apart.

Is it a result of uncorrected gait when young, congenital or weight realted? Can it be corrected - some look as though they are going to create a load on the NHS in the future as they waddle along.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Also, I've wondered why many people (again, often women) swing their arms diagonally *across* their body when they walk, rather than in a plane that is parallel to their direction of walking. If they were hypothetically to swing both arms forwards at the same time (as opposed to the arms being 180 degrees out of phase) their hands would collide. Maybe it comes of being round-shouldered.

Reply to
NY

Genetics. Blame the parents.

Why do young men, especially on costa-del-wherever, walk like penguins ? (toes pointing outwards).

Reply to
Andrew

Speedwalkers and power walkers of both sexes swing their arms across their body. It may be to do with rhythm and balance. The top of the body swings from side to side while the legs go forward and backwards.

michael adams

michael adams

Women have structural differences to men, particularly in their pelvic area which is wider for allowing babies to pass down the birth canal. This results in differences in gait, swinging hips amongst other things. At school, girls were never any good at throwing balls, for similar structural reasons, I assume, but probably different in detail, although I guess the England women's cricket team might take issue with that comment!

No doubt Pamela will be along to explain all...

I once heard a woman ask why men always sit with their legs apart, rather than together as women generally do. It was explained to her that if women had a bunch of grapes down the front of their knickers, they'd sit with their legs apart, too.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Riding horses when young?? Brian

Reply to