OT: jerky gas meter

A bit off topic as I have _NO_ intention of "diy" anything to the gas meter! But wondering if the group might have some experience in these matters ...

I just happened to be looking at the gas meter (a mechanical "digital" one as ooposed to multiple clock dials) with central heating and oven both alight, it makes a few graunchy noises but not too bad, then I looked at the "sweep cu. ft" hand and noticed that it doesn't sweep round smoothly the whole way round, but slows down and then jerks forward, never actually stops as such though.

I was going to say it wasn't *that* long since it was changed, but on inspection of the sticker it was back in 1997, but assume it's got several years before it'll get changed again?

Is this normal? could it be mis-reading?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is unlikely to be misreading, and if it did so it would l;iekly be in your favour. Many gas meters move a little unevenly and make noises especially at higher gas flows.

The gas meter to the flat above my house was making noises and it actually was so bad that there were slight outlet pressure variations. About 6-12 months later it stopped working altogether.

Because gas meters read unevenly around the dial that is why gas rate consumption tests are done by whole dial turns - see Gas Fitting FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Normal, its a moving diaphram mechanisim IIRC

Reply to
Badger

I had suspected it would be in that direction (if at all) ;-)

OK I won't loose any sleep then due to the former, and the noises aren't bad enough that I will loose any due to the latter ... What's actually inside, a sort of weather-vane affair?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It depends on whether it is causing big pressure variations as it turns over. Some makes of meter recently installed have been found to have faulty batches and can stick or jam,,ring your gas supplier and report a noisy meter, to have it checked!!

Reply to
tarquinlinbin