OT-ish: Smart electric/gas meters - Y/N?

All they need to do is give you a phone number so you can call and ask what the meter reading is. They can read it remotely and tell you.

Reply to
dennis

I would if they(*) also replaced the board, moved the cut out and all the meters to that board and fitted switch fuses into all four feeds. I'll supply the board, it's fixings and the switch fuses.

(*) What chance do you think I have in getting three suppliers and the DNO co-ordianted enough for all that to happen on the same day.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have a read of this: Who controls the off switch?

Richard

You tell me. On what basis do you say it was a blatant lie?

Reply to
Dave W

Some people do listen and understand.

I have just swapped 10 50W halogen spot lights with 4.5W cool white LEDs at the local pizza shop. I am not usually a fan of cool white but it has altered the shop lighting and we did a trial run to make sure they liked the colour.

Lights on from 16.30 to 02.00ish every day and the lamps cost £31.80.

I guess a payback in about 120 days

Reply to
ARW

including the cost of your invoice?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I was called and asked if I wanted one by EDF. I just said no.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I tried to get smart meters fitted because basically I CBA reading the meter any more. So timeline was

1) contact offering smart meter from energy supplier in March 2015. "We are in your area". "We", being some third party bunch of meter fitters. 2) third party bunch turn up as appointed in March 2015, suck their teeth and tell me that the leccy meter is bust, and northern powergrid would have to sort it. 3) northern powergrid take four months to sort it. Only two phone calls mind. One to book the appointment for four months time (earliest they could do), and one from them to say "we're on our way". 4) re-contact energy supplier, but they are no longer "in our area".

5) fast forward to April 2016, so now 13 months after the initial contact. They are once again "in my area". Joy.

6) third party cowboys turn up, and replace both meters. Then fail to set up the IHD. They then change both meters until they're sort of happy. I notice that the gas isn't reading properly on the IHD but apparently it has to "settle in". What?

7) third party cowboys scuttle off.

8) IHD is not reading Gas. It says a constant 'high' usage. Leccy part works okay. Responsive reading of current usage. Worried what it's reporting to the supplier. Stratospheric bill incoming?

9) energy supplier confirms - gas meter is "off network" , and will require fettling. Can't say when, because they are not "in my area" any more.

I've now spent four days annual leave on these clowns, and 13 months after my initial request, it still doesn't bloody work.

If anyone wants smart meters, I do hope your installation goes better than mine.

Reply to
HarpingOn

On 21 May 2016, Lobster grunted:

Interesting thread... I shall indeed be declining the generous offer!

Reply to
Lobster

Probably given they save a unit every 2 hours, so about 4.5 units a day. What is the commercial rate for electricity these days? about 6p? About 10 minutes work so probably a couple of free pizzas.

Reply to
dennis

I've got a leccy job that needs doing

I wonder if Adam will drive to/from my house and only charge me NMW for the time actually spent in the house

tim

Reply to
tim...

He doesn?t get his pizzas at your place.

Reply to
Jim Simon

Ovo insisted that we had new meters. On the premise that they were smart meters and they needed to be sure our meters were under a certain age. We already had smart meters and they were approx 4 years old. They persisted so I yielded.

I wish I had refused as the meter fitter stole my U gauge and we are now on our second gas leak since he wrestled our meter out and wrestled a new one into it's place.

If it aint broke.....

They take readings now every 30 mins but still take the same amount from me each month and always owe me £100s.

Reply to
R D S

Tell them you want the 100s back...

I've found E.on very good. They listen if I point out the regular payment is too high. And every April they review the year and give me the correct refund.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Me too.

I think they automatically review DD amount half way through the year.

Whether they have improved their system from days gone past of wildly varying amounts and building up credit balances, or whether it's the lack of estimated readings since smart-meters, who knows?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I might get free pizza at Tim's.

However 10 minutes of work for a £12 takeaway and a travel time of only 1 minute. That's not NMW.

If it was a work job then they would have paid £20 plus vat and had to pay a mark up on the lamps.

Reply to
ARW

To put things into perspective - there easier ways to tell if someone is away than hacking someones electricity consumption.

Reply to
ARW

In many organisations there is someone that steals data, most often credit card data. If a company has this awayness data, it's tempting for an employ ee to earn money selling it in bulk to local organised crime. There's means , motive and in some cases opportunity - and we know that leads to crime in some cases. It's ultra-easy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr