OT(ish) - lies, damned lies and ballet dancers (Grauniad)

In message , David writes

OK. Slope the floor:-)

How does showering with a wheelchair work?

Bit in the weekend Telegraph about separating ceramic floor tiles from underfloor heated screed. (anti-crack matting) Anyone used it?

Reply to
Tim Lamb
[35 lines snipped]

And perpetually damp toilet paper & towels.

(One of the excellent things about usually renting a house for holidays is that you discover how dumb things like wet rooms, AGAs and ceramic sinks (especially underslung & butler ones) are, and how poorly designed many kitchens are.)

Reply to
Huge

I can agree with most of those sentiments. The kitchen designer's / buiulder's house I visited, was a perfect example, with a butler sink (death to crockery!) and no overflow. The outlet blocked and the chipboard cupboards and hardwood floors all flooded!

Reply to
Capitol

The underslung belfast I agree with and probably the aga (Devon cottage). Wetrooms can be nice if they have good UFH (forest cabins, Forest of Dean) as that dries them out pretty fast. But if poorly heated by a rusty towel rail in the corner, I'd dread to think!

Reply to
Tim Watts

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

ps. a wet room also allows showers à deux, à trois, etc. Great fun if you're sufficiently open-minded, which I think rules out a lot of posters to this group.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

You actually know a woman who doesn't mind getting her hair wet in a shower?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Huge writes

Detailed evidence please.

Why is it housewives have this yearning for huge Butlers sinks? How often do they really struggle to clean roasting pans?

On AGAs.. I will soon be disposing of a 20 year old, virtually unused, gas fired, Rayburn range cooker:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Tell me about it. We have an original Butler sink in what was the scullery, and Wifey wants it in the kitchen. I have resisted for the last 14 years, and have no intention of giving up now :-)

We had a solid fuel range in our last house, and absolutely loved it. The only thing that stops me installing one here (apart from cost!) is the thought of dragging fuel in and ashes out as the years pass.

Reply to
News

I have a large stainless sink[1] which fulfils that purpose with none of the disadvantages.

[1] WHY do people fit those stupid twin sinks - when having the same space in one large sink is far more useful?
Reply to
Tim Watts

We have modest sized twin sinks. (hence the butlers ambition). The small one is fitted with a strainer insert to gather vegetable peelings etc. There is a full size ceramic sink on legs in the utility area where d-i-y folk are directed to wash (something to do with not liking soap splashes near the kitchen sink. I think it is just territorial!) So... on arrival at the utility sink with muddy/greasy hands one encounters problems. The first being that someone has decided that the ideal location for the backup toilet roll is on the nice flat top of the Swarfega container. The second is that the sink is the only desirable place for the bucket/bowl containing clothes having a pre-wash soak!

I could go on...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So that when stuff is soaking in the main sink, there's still somewhere (just a 1/4 sink in my case) to tip dregs of coffee etc, or to wash the cutlery separately.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Because you can rinse things in one sink while washing in the other.

...or you can leave a pan/dish to soak in one sink while using the other.

etc., etc. We wouldn't be without our twin bowl stainless sink. N.B. both bowls are the same, quite large, size.

Reply to
cl

Others have responded in detail, but I had one in my previous house and that experience persuaded me to have one here as well. Yes, there are times when a huge sink would be convenient. But they're easily outweighed by the numerous occasions on which it's good to have a second sink, or a smaller sink. BTW I have what I think of as one and a half sinks, i.e. a decent (not huge) one with a smaller one alongside it, and I assume that's what you're talking about.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , News writes

This one is mains gas..

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Sorry Tim. Yes, I realised yours was gas, and we could get an oil fired one, but, to me, a range should either be solid fuel or not bother. We now have a bottled gas and electric pseudo range (Rangemaster) which is great at what it is and does, but it is not a range.

Reply to
News

In message , Tim Watts writes

We had twin sinks a couple of houses ago, and liked them. One to soak stuff whilst another for washing, one to wash, one to rinse etc.

Reply to
News

This one here wants a double stainless steel sink with a drainer at each end.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wash in one sink, rinse in the other. Then on to the drainer, which if it is integral with the sink (as in SS) actually drains. Unlike ours at the moment, which drains backwards.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've never liked built-in drainers, and I particularly dislike double ones. They waste far too much counter space. I prefer a separate drainer which can be plopped by the sink when necessary, and stashed under it when not needed.

Reply to
S Viemeister

So all the water from the items being drained falls on the counter. And then how do ye get it into the sink?

That's quite rare. And the result is that you use up a big chunk of valuable cupboard space.

Reply to
Tim Streater