Insurance

Anyone any views on suitable unoccupied home renovation insurers?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We used them for landlord insurance and they were happy to continue cover for a minimal additional amount when the house became empty for several weeks when the tenant moved out and we prepared it for sale.

Tried them. Not interested in unoccupied new insurance.

I filled in an online quote form and am now fending off agents:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

I'm using NFU. They are costing 25% less than the previous, long term insurer from when the home was occupied, and were happy that it is empty during renovation.

Reply to
Bill

Novae @ Lloyd's do landlords and empty property insurance, so might be worth a try. (failing that just go to a broker and let them do the hunting)

Reply to
John Rumm

"Fresh" are quite good if you need weird insurance with odd conditions like a building renovation job. However, unoccupied insurance for "normal" furnished properties is pretty run of the mill and even comparethemarket has an option for it which should help the OP.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1 for NFU.
Reply to
David

In message , Bill writes

Hmmm... Maybe that was *new customer* niceness? The property is currently insured with NFU (20 years) and the local office refused to consider unoccupied renovation cover.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Another -1 for NFU.

My parents house used to be insured with them. When it was empty while trying to sell it they wanted to double the premium.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

A -255 for Admiral. When my MIL had a stroke and went into a home, I called to tell them her house was empty and they cancelled her buildings cover on the spot. Not even 24 hours to find another insurer, they cancelled it then and there. They'll never be getting another penny from me, ever.

Reply to
Huge

I do not like Admiral either for reasons of inflexibility.

So I don't think I'll ever use them.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Lamb posted

I used Gresham Services of Dartford. Never had to claim though so I don't know whether it was a good choice :)

Reply to
Big Les Wade

If you'd had to claim inside a week, I think the Ombudsman would have ruled against them. Typically home insurance covers up to four weeks of being unoccupied. But still - Bastards!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Not a battle I wanted to fight, when my wife's inheritance has just burned down.

I found some more cover in about 45 minutes.

Quite.

Reply to
Huge