OT-ish: "Trusted Tradesmen" websites?

I need to find a roofer locally to repair a leaking roof, and the reliable firm I've used for years seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, sadly.

Personally I think roofers are one of the most potentially dodgy classes of tradesmen (mainly because you don't normally get to see what work they've done) and I'm damned if I'm going to just pick one out of Yellow Pages. Can't come up with anyone personally who can reccomend anyone, so I thought I'd at least try one of those websites where punters rate tradesmen... I think there was one called "locallytrusted.co.uk" but that seems to have gone and I'm drawing a blank. Anyone know of any reliable sites of this nature?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

There's Checkatrade

used them myself but it looks OK and for my area there are plenty of ratings for each company.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Not used this but...

there should be a shorter link.

Reply to
Jeweller

Thanks - but sadly it's typically southern-biased... it couldn't find a single roofer in my northern town, or county, or even the adjacent counties or cities; but when I plugged in "Surrey" instead just to see if it was actually working it came up with 376 hits!! :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Ask your local Council if they maintain a list - some do.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Check with your local trading standards. Medway have a 'Fair Trader' scheme

your local authority has something similar.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you're a member of Which?, you can make use of

you're not a member, your local library may be able to provide access If push comes to shove, drop me a line and I'll email you some names for your location.

Reply to
OG

In article , Jeweller writes

There's often a lot of redundant information in a URL (link).

In this case I tried trimming it to:

see if it worked, which it did.

In the end just:

takes you there.

It's a sad hobby I know . . . .

Reply to
fred

If you are in the Nottingham area or Newbury, reply back

Reply to
Kipper at sea

LOL someone who keeps their books up to date, has insurance, and a complaints procedure. good way to find a competent Roofer, but perhaps better the yellow pages. ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

In fact - shorter still - so does

but without the Indie's branding. I found that site as it happens; but haven't tried it as basically it seems that you put your job up on a website and then tradesmen see this and pitch for the work - not really what I was after!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

You miss the point. True enough they don't ask to see examples of your work, but they only list people who run their business's properly. They insist on a certain standard of record keeping, suitable insurance, a CRB check etc - not a bloke in a white transit with only a mobile number.

I was recently tugged by them for not showing my address on the web site. I deliberately didn't show it because I work from home & don't want callers, but they insisted.

I've had 3 complaints in 5 years and they were all investigated by Trading Standards. Each time I've had to supply details of my response to the complaint at a meeting with them (which costs me time/money) and agree to resolve the complaint under English law.

It's not a rubber stamp job to get approval or keep it. I regard the approval as a good marketing tool which helps me to achieve premium prices & definately wouldn't want to lose it. The downside is that some 'professional complainers' (Trading Standards phrase, not mine) try to use it as a stick to beat you with - TS don't automatically side with the punter though.

Unless you have a better alternative?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

no you have missed mine!

That bit's Ok

I believe the Germans have a skill test and a licence before anyone can become a roofer, plumber, etc. FWIW i wasn't really having a go at you, as you market yourself as a Handyman, not a tradesman.

-
Reply to
Mark

The Medway Handyman wrote: ...

That's probably because it is a statutory requirement under the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002, which covers just about any commercial web site, not just ecommerce businesses.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Take into account the fact that the tradesmen may well have a right of veto over comments, especially if the site as an affiliate marketin site.

Personally, having been invited to joun many trade organisations over the years, some of which had nothing to do with my business, for no obvious reason except to pay them subscriptions, I would be wary of any of them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I believe the British have a similar system called Gas Safe and that works really well, doesn't it?

Reply to
mike

Absolutely.

You also have to provide evidence of three years' formal training. The formal training is classroom based, not mere "on the job" training as in the UK.

This requirement applies to anyone in the building trade. You cannot advertise yourself as a builder, roofer, joiner, plumber etc. unless you have had formal training and a licence to work in your chosen trade.

The result is a very high standard of workmanship and very few of the problems with the so-called "tradesmen" that we have in the UK.

Reply to
Bruce

Age Concern have such a scheme in place to avoid old dears being ripped off. I don't know whether it's strictly for old 'un's though - perhaps you could fib a little and say you need the information for an elderly relative or something?

Reply to
Dave

Most accountants allow you to use their office to be used as your registered address. If you don't want to place your private address on your website, it is a possible alternative.

Certainly possible for limited companies, not sure if you can if you're self employed.

Reply to
Fredxx

How about looking round the area for people who have had roofing work done recently and knocking on a few doors?

Reply to
Jim