Automatically created websites?

Why do I often find websites with very weird English? Have these been translated badly or entirely computer generated?

Here's an example:

"Most of the hobbits and professional electronic have one question"

"It depends on the components and welds both. For example, if a soldering surface mount components a tiny tip and 600f should be sufficient to solder a joint thoroughly."

"Infect that will not overheat at all."

"warm high the joints so it can melt join the wires"

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

El Fri, 01 Jul 2022 15:16:53 +0100, Commander Kinsey escribió:

A mixture of the two.

It's all scripted and based on this:

<just noticed another escapee from the killfile>
Reply to
Paul Carmichael

You can get some very strange English if you use autofill and don't proof read the text after.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

And yet you chose to reply. Are my posts worthwhile or not?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey

Language translation by someone who doesn't really know English?

I remember a printer manual that was probably supposed to say "Reset the reverse mode" had "Rest the reverse model".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Because the individual who did the web site doesnt speak good english, stupid.

Unlikely if they use google translate, its surprisingly good.

Unlikely given so many of the chat bots are entirely computer generated now.

Bet that was meant to be "in fact" so just a spelling checker fuckup.

And that is a classic with a non native engish speaker.

Reply to
zaq

Seems that some languages put the words in part of the sentance backwards from the US English.

One warning that always gets to me is the statement that it may cause cancer in California. Seems like everything I buy has that warning.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I remember working with a "cunning linguist" (her term!) who knew various languages in addition to English and could (so she claimed) identify what language a document had originally been written in, after reading a translation of it to English - by the fact that translators sometimes preserved the word order of the original language. OK, in German "you can the language recognise" by the fact that the main verb (recognise) goes at the end of the clause when an auxiliary verb (can) is used, but surely no translator worth his salt would perpetrate such an elementary error when translating out of German.

But why does it only cause cancer in California and is (apparently) safe everywhere else? :-)

Reply to
NY

"Precisely. And the man who wrote the note is a German. Do you note the peculiar construction of the sentence--'This account of you we have from all quarters received.' A Frenchman or Russian could not have written that. It is the German who is so uncourteous to his verbs."

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

My favourite warning bit is from Green Wing:

lar3ryca

First nonsense I saw was on an antique Russian camera (FED 4) of my father's. It said "provided you have loaded the film incorrectly".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fri, 01 Jul 2022 15:16:53 +0100: "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com scribeva:

The domain name is registered in Iceland. Or on Iceland. It is hosted by Amazon in Germany. So I suspect the editor is a native speaker of Icelandic and his/her English stays too close to that.

Hobbyists and professionals of electronics? Dyslectic typing? Or trouble with the simplicity of English morphology seeing that their own language's's (genitive plus shortened "is") has it much more complicated?

Hocherwärmen? Hocherhitzen? Is that German?

Reply to
Ruud Harmsen

That could be a translation engine, but also might well be a person. Remember those instruction books on early Japanese products? That was way before auto translate, so has to have been done by anon English speaker. Things like being sure reception is due to loopstick facing air comes to mind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This one wasn't too bad. You may have the makings of a word nerd in you.

Reply to
CDB
[snip]

That reminds me of one strange warning I saw yesterday. On my generator is a sticker saying "CAUTION: for electrical equipment only". What else are you supposed to use a generator for?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I used to laugh at those until we had to set up a site in Puerto Rico. I'm sure they were amused by our Google Translate efforts. Even a woman from Columbia who was a native Spanish speaker had trouble with the PR usage.

My wife was fluent in Russian but when she offered to translate labels for power units we were shipping to Russia it didn't work out well. Industrial usage is a bit different.

The you have people like Heidegger who bent German to his own ends. When I read a translation I'm not sure if it's the translator or the author that leads to the linguistic puzzles.

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

Once I remember hearing that a certain part of California has so much air pollution that living there is like smoking two packs of cigarettes every day.

Reply to
Sam E

Pollution! Pollution! Wear a gasmask and a veil Then you can breathe 'Long as you don't inhale.

The breakfast garbage that you throw into the Bay They drink at lunch in San José.

That Tom Lehrer knew a thing or two ;-)

Reply to
NY