OT: Is cultural diversity possible?

Many years ago there were a handful of 'Asians' in Blackburn, and apart from the hassle they'd get from the more staunch of racists I don't recall a massive amount of bother. We had one single Pakistani in our year at secondary school, I don't recall anyone hating her over her race. Now at least 30% of the population of that town is Asian and i'm pretty sure relations have been getting steadily worse over the years, there have been times when i've wondered if riots might kick off. The BBC have done a couple of documentaries about it.

Reason for this post is that there is an article (the usual shit stirring) in our local rag about how Asians were more likely to receive a fine for flouting rules during the lockdowns.

Now whatever anyone may think of why this might be, the comments section has descended into the usual tit for tat arguments including the inevitable battle over whether the grooming gangs or the BBC are the biggest bunch of rapists/paedos (Saville has a lot to answer for).

So in finding myself getting fed up with the constant tension in the area, while not considering myself a racist, I can't help but wish we had less immigration and hence, things were more peaceful. It's a shame, but that's how it is.

I'm just wondering what people think about such matters?

Reply to
R D S

I liked Holdings of Blackburn ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

because black people come from hot climates they are always fighting....so they bring that here....simples

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Most of the worst of our criminals shooting each other quite literally have been lebanese and before that the mafia. The only two politicians quite literally shot dead has been by a Vietnamese immigrant and the mafia.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What I think is broadly this. In France, people drive on the right. And don't have accidents. In Britain, people drive on the left, and don't have accidents either. When French people visit this country, they are required to drive on the left.

In Islamic society, a woman out on her own is ipso facto looking for sex, because all women of character are in their homes with their families or husbands. If they venture out it will be with a male family chaperone.

In UK society a woman out on her own is to be respected, because there are a thousand reasons apart from sex she is there.

Either moral stance works perfectly well if everyone sticks to it, but they don't mix well.

WE enforce driving on the left. We don't enforce the rights of women to be out alone on the streets. Why is that? Why are we allowing sharia law to prevail? Who owns most of the worlds debt, due to being an oil producing country?

Cui Bono?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Far too simplistic.

For starters, while women out on there own in the West should be respected they often are not.

Secondly, the restrictions on women in some countries are nothing to do with Islam- ie they don’t come from the Koran. They are entirely a fabrication by men. ( Some argue so is religion but that aside.)

Reply to
Brian

But we are happy to identify that as an anti social aberration and in extreme cases a crime that is punishable by custodial sentence.

I am not saying that that sort of misogyny is entirely the province of Islam - patently it is not.

It is however *Islam that remains immune from censure*.

The trick is to equate academic theory (one ethical system is as good as any other) with practical effect (two inimical ethical systems cannot coexist)

This (academic equivalence) is patently absurd as a means of developing practical law.

We need to settle on one language that everyone understands, one set of cultural norms that have majority support and are understood by everyone.

And one set of road rules that clearly identify what is expected road behaviour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Focus on the sex offenders.

How many ‘white’ POLICE officers have featured in the news recently for serious sex offences and/or murder? These should be the ‘best’ in our community, yet there is no shortage of sex offenders not only in the police but colleagues who turn a blind eye to their activities.

How many people ignore the behaviour of convicted sex offenders?

Anyone who has turned a blind eye or defended a known sex offender is part of the problem.

Reply to
Brian

I'm not even sure if people now get along even with their own race and religion any more. You only have to look at the gang culture, black fighting black white fighting white. I'm really not sure, but do tend to feel there is a sense more than ever of a class system going on and a lack of policing as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Definitely a lack of policing. When I was young (1980s) we were constantly being stopped and questioned by the police, and when I started driving I was pulled over regularly.

I don't think they are allowed to do that now unless they've reasonable cause for suspicion.

Reply to
R D S

Not even possible with issues like abortion and even f****ng outside marriage and whacking your kids without injuring them when they misbehave.

Human behaviour is MUCH more complicated.

Reply to
Jamesy

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

They never did, that's why heretics were quite literally burnt at the stake and we had prisons.

Hard to credit that given where some like rishi sunak have got to.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Several years before that, but getting stopped for checks was a regular thing.

I'm sure they could whistle up a 'reasonable cause' trouble is there just are not enough police to do that, not even enough police to deal with reported crime.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Well, I think a lot of that was because they tended to pick on people of certain racial categories.

I'm not surprised that many black and Asian folk got pissed off with it. I used to get stopped a lot as I liked to walk on my own a lot in the back roads of where I live as it was safer from traffic, but Police say, you would not be round here unless you were up to no good, once again a stereotypical response, which I would not mind if they actually did not present themselves as so arrogant that they knew you were a crook merely by being here and were not really very friendly, like keep your hands where we can see them and all that crap. There are less aggressive ways to stop people and you can always turn on your authoritarian side if the person legs it or looks like they are trying to dump drugs etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Especially if driving anywhere near pub closing time :) Was it the age of the driver or just the age of the car? It wasn't until I was earning a reasonable salary that I was able to afford something that didn't display a great deal of external rust or something that didn't require weekly maintenance. Although I was older, a newer car didn't attract any stoppages.

A few years back where I was holidaying in a rural area a (political) crime commissioner suggested that due to the noticeable absence of the Police after a crime was reported the public should take more responsibility for reducing crime. He somewhat changed his views when in subsequent public meetings* too many people suggested vigilante groups :)

*He made the comments before embarking on a re-election tour of village halls.
Reply to
alan_m