OT; IP address?

in fact they are both the same, that VM ip range came with the Gill upgrade earlier this year.

% Information related to '94.168.64.0 - 94.168.79.255' inetnum: 94.168.64.0 - 94.168.79.255 netname: BBIGROWTH2009 descr: BROADBAND Gillingham country: GB Host : cpc2-gill16-2-0-cust619.basl.cable.virginmedia.com

inetnum: 77.96.242.0 - 77.96.243.255 netname: BROADBANDAUDIT descr: BROADBAND BASI GILL-CMTS-13 country: GB Host :77-96-243-253.cable.ubr13.gill.blueyonder.co.uk

in fact if you go back to 18 Jan 2009

news:069cl.21280$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com TMH was actually posting from the IP in question 77.96.243.253 make of that what you will!

-
Reply to
Mark

Most employers would not bin letters of complaint and ignore phone calls complaining about a member of staff using a work computer to make death threats.

Many firms also have a code of conduct that a member off staff has to follow when not at work.

When I had a bunny boiler problem last year the Ward Sister was most interested when I went to see her with all the relevant details. The bunny boiler backed off after a warning by her boss.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

That's easy. You click on the link in the phishing email, which takes you to a look-a-like ebay or paypal (or etc.) web site and of course you then have to log in. The site isn't the genuine one, but a copy - even the URL's are spoofed to appear like the genuine one. So you type your login details in, which it stores and they then have full access to your account.

Best thing is to change your passwords for both quickly, if they have not already locked you out by changing the passwords, then try and let both ebay and paypal know your accounts have been compromised.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Only easy if you're foolish enough to respond to those sort of emails. Even if you think them genuine, make your own way to the site - you'll be contacted there if they need to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well yes but TMH did say > Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Tim

Reply to
Tim

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R.Clarke" saying something like:

Fuck off, Todger.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've rarely used ebay, but ISTR that they provide an application that will warn you if the site you are visiting is not a genuine ebay site.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Wot a keylogger?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gillingham is part of the Medway Towns, but I believe this to be Gillingham Dorset.

AFAIK.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No wireless at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Seriously?? It's a piece of spyware that literally logs all the key-strokes you make and sends them to the attacker.passwords would be sent in clear text even if the website you were typing them into returned ****

Reply to
Graham.

Do people download it following a link they've received in an email? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's a nasty bit of malware which, when placed on your PC, logs every keystroke you make and transmits them to whoever installed it. Basic anti-virus software doesn't pick it up. You need a good anti-spyware program too.

I am not an IT expert so I'm not the best person to recommend which package is best for you, but I haven't been at all impressed with AVG which failed to deal with quite a few items of malware, some serious. I've had better results with Spyware Detector, but there will probably be other, better packages.

All my work and other important files are stored on a Mac computer which is only very rarely connected to the Internet. The Mac's UNIX-based operating system is much less prone to virus and malware attacks than Windows.

Reply to
Bruce

But it still happens...remember Robert Morris...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You're right, of course. I use Linux on my main (ex-Windows) laptop for that very reason. ;-)

But getting back to the subject, I think the majority of Windows users have not the slightest conception of how much at risk they are from spyware and malware. They just use standard anti-virus packages that don't even attempt to tackle the real nasties.

Reply to
Bruce

I agree. I use BSD mostly (and have done ever since it appeared on the VAX), as at least it is well tried and tested. And the weak point exploited most by Morris was sendmail - I never use it on any of my systems.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which is why many use a drop down menu to select, say, a couple of letters from a second secure word?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and that bug was fixed 15 years ago..and it ONLY worked on a VAX running a specific operating system with a specific build of it too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and on a Sun, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Dont think so.

Unless the processors were identical

It relied on a precise text string overwriting a stack based buffer, and corrupting it in a precise way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher