OT: How can having one tooth filled cost me £47

It equates to takings of >£500k per year. Never mind, we'll stand for it eh?

Reply to
brass monkey

How do you work that one out?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

£500k, if that's the case, has to cover the overheads too. The building, equipment, training, assistant who hoses the crap out of your gob, front desk ...
Reply to
Tim Streater

Judging by how long I was in there he can do >6 per hour.

Reply to
brass monkey

But half a weeks state pension for a filling?

Reply to
brass monkey

sure. you dont have one every week....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

- net taxable earnings *averaged* £89,000 in 2007-08

- for those with contracts with the NHS the *average* was over £126,000

- over 1,000 had taxable income over £200,000

Robin

They pay you too much ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

O yes, it's fine if you have a mouthfull of tombstones, pretty cheap then. A one-off payment however much work you need. If you simply need one filling you're subsidising the unwashed.

Some weeks back my aunt had all her teeth out and a new gas fire fitted.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
brass monkey

Here types a man who reads like he has had plenty of anaesthetic tonight ;-)

Would have cost you twice that at my dentist's! Count yourself lucky.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could always change your dentist. At £47 it's NHS approved daylight robbery. Before retirement I'd have loved to receive ~£300 per hour, >£10k per week. You must be doing extremely well, John.

Reply to
brass monkey

But the £100k in the bank + 2 houses is very usefull, right? :D

Reply to
brass monkey

And had you had 6 done it would have still cost you £47. Which is why NHS dentists complain.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You should have asked for a few more fillings and perhaps an extraction or two at the same time. Then perhaps you would have felt you got value for your £47 fixed fee.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Next time :)

Reply to
brass monkey

Same here, in fact our NHS dentist has an "A" board sign out on the pavement advertising for new patients.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Well, of course you should be going to the hygienist. More likely to keep your teeth that way.

In the early 50s my dad had all his choppers removed (and he was under

50 at the time). This appeared to be normal.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Do you have toothache? Something's distracting you to the extent that you are typing gibberish again!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In article , Tim Streater writes

If you clean your teeth and floss or otherwise clean your interdental spaces regularly then I don't see a great necessity in seeing the hygienist. An occasional NHS scale and polish will deal with any buildup. The hygenist can devote more time to the work but if you're on a budget I don't see it as essential.

Mine too but I don't know if he was as handy with a brush as he should have been and they certainly didn't have either floss or hygienists in his day. My mum, born in the same era, still has a full set of her own though.

An old dentist of mine recommended an occasional brush and sloosh with

3% hydrogen peroxide to help kill off anaerobic bacteria. I still do that for a deep clean.
Reply to
fred

Not likely... having had bad experiences with some in the past, now I have found one who is careful, gentle, does not do unnecessary work etc, I will stick with him. I am fortunate in not usually needing any treatment other than an examination, scale, and polish - which usually takes about 30 mins, and for which he charges £48.

(Note this is not a NHS dentist though)

To be fair I was assuming that you were talking about a private dentist not an NHS one. Having had a quick look about, what you paid seems to be normal for the "middle tier" of work. With scale and polish etc at about £15 and complex work at £200.

I am not sure how their fee structure works now. I know when the practice I go to pulled out of doing NHS work many years ago, their main problem was that funding offered by the NHS did not afford enough time to do a job well enough - and they were not allowed to surcharge at the time. Now the system has changed, and they can charge as well as receiving funding from the NHS they now have one dentist that does do NHS work again.

You are making the classic mistake of confusing the income of the practice with that of the dentist. You are also assuming that there is a steady stream of patients with simple quick fix jobs like fillings that can be piped through without their arse touching the seat. Chances are the overall throughput is somewhat less than 6 patients an hour (I would expect 3 is closer to the truth).

I am not saying dentists are badly paid, I expect a good majority earning a reasonably decent wedge, and a few earning over £100K/year. Among top medical people that is not uncommon. Its not a trivial or cheap matter to become a qualified dentist. Startup costs alone for a practice are going to be pretty steep.

Because I choose to stump up £98/year to keep my teeth in good order? Most folks spend a good deal more on matters of less importance, so I am not sure the logic holds.

Reply to
John Rumm