OT House price fall off a cliff.

As I prophesised. (Not difficult.)

Reply to
harry

There should be an awful lot of toys coming on the market cheap, too. All the goodies people treat themselves to in the good times and have to sell to raise money when things turn bad. It'll be interesting to see where in terms of price all these fancy Ferraris and Lambos end up a year from now. I might just go on a buying spree. In fact I plan to....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I was astounded to find that my SIPP had in fact gained 7% over the last year of which 3.4% went to the bastards in setting it up.

Well I was expecting anything up to a 15% loss .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It wasn't hard to predict that if estate agents are closed, banks are offering limited services, surveyors and solicitors are in lock-down that viewing properties, getting a mortgage etc. may have been difficult.

Reply to
alan_m

I exchanged contracts on 4JAN19. Happy days!

Reply to
Simon Mason

It says _sales_ have fallen off a cliff. Not surprising when there can be no viewings... if it mentions prices that's past the paywall line.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do go down though.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A friend of mine works for a block-management firm, she's still doing viewings (although they now consist of meeting prospects at the door, opening up, letting them wander round, locking up after) so why can't estate agents?

Reply to
Andy Burns

They can now... Some of my EA customers have even sold a few just from virtual tours during the lockdown. (although its a brave person to buy a house from a video tour alone!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I've had a few statements recently showing gains but when checking the dates of the valuations they were in February!

Reply to
alan_m

Presumably empty properties. Someone in lock-down probably doesn't want anyone wandering around their house while they are still there.

Reply to
alan_m

"Over the last year" is actually pretty lame. Stock prices didn't fall off a cliff until late this winter so it's not the least surprising.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I didn't invest till the autumn.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do they have tarmacced roads where you live ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes. And better still no speed limit!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, quite.

Most analysis suggests that prices won't be affected significantly - demand remains, and supply has been put on hold. But too many unknowns at the moment. I think the three most significant are:

Planning system - maybe this is the time that all of that land banked semi-arable, edge of city, land comes ripe for development. At least one application has won on appeal, using the 'economic need' clause, brought on by COVID-19. Place your bets.

Behaviour of housebuilders. No idea how they're going to react. Conservative at the best of times . . .

Jobs. People obviously need money/jobs to move - implications here massive. Not least in the property sales side of things.

Reply to
RJH

There will be massive unemployment after this business. There'll be lots of mortgage forclosures and lots of people can't afford present house prices or indeed any house. Lots living with parents.

There will be little demand for houses so prices will fall. It will really get going when the "furlough" is stopped/cut.

We'll see soup kitchens never mind food banks.

There's lots of idiots can't grasp how serious the situation is.

Reply to
harry

Perhaps it's a classic case of denial? They just can't bring themselves to face up to it. Give it a year down the line and the mood will be one of abject resignation.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Lockdown was a really silly idea.

"Spanish flu" only lasted a couple of years.

Reply to
Max Demian

...and killed more people than the first world war.

Reply to
John Rumm

Then everyone danced the Charleston until the 1929 crash. Your point?

Reply to
Max Demian