High powered kettles & vacuum cleaners plan to ban them in EU stalls

Mine may have markings but I have never used them that I remember.

Yup, works in theory. ;-)

I guess that depends on several things ... like how many people are expecting a hot beverage at once, the uniformity of the cups used by each, the location of the cups, tap and kettle and (and this is the biggie), if you have *a life* or not. ;-)

Do you dip the same cups in the kettle to fill them once the kettle has boiled Dave .

So do you carry each of the cups to the sink, fill each separately and carry them back to the kettle one at a time (or use the same cup 'n' times if all the same size)?

Ah, you have an advantage on us then (as this place can be more like a cafe on occasion). ;-)

I put the cordless kettle (as that was the main point of having cordless kettles I thought) under the tap and put in what I consider 'enough' to fulfil our predicted need for that instance.

Makes sense. We rarely fill the kettle to the max, unless we need that much boiling water of course.

Yes. 'Difficult' in comparison to doing what we typically do.

Yes, and we also *manage* and do so quickly and easily most times by guesstimation, often with less than half a mug of water 'spare'.

Yes, but 'the point' here was that an insulated kettle would also do so 'longer term', potentially long enough to make any overfilling of no real consequence (and therefore any time wasted playing 'measure the precise volume' moot). ;-)

(is it just my Newsreader that doesn't wrap Dave's messages properly?)

Or, rather that suffer the losses normally incurred whenever you convert energy from one format to another, just have the kettle store any hot water as efficiently as possible. You save energy when heating (minimise losses up to the boiling time), you minimises losses from when it's boiled and when you actually use the water (you might be distracted somehow) and you save energy between boilings. Result. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok.

Ok.

So that would happen at the first boiling?

It would be interesting to do some blind taste tests with 'fresh' boiled water versus water that had been boiled say 5 times.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Somehow "30 times less", whilst a way of expressing it that I don't like, is reasonably clear in many contexts. How clear is "two times less"? Is it a half? A third? A quarter? Or something else?

Reply to
polygonum

One times less gives you zero, obviously. So more than one times less takes you into negative territory. Simples. Thass why I said that 30 times less means the OP would be feeding 29 x 500W back into the grid.

Next thing, these people will be saying "pollution has been reduced by

300%", and the like.
Reply to
Tim Streater

En el artículo , Tim Streater escribió:

They do, and ordinary people understand what is meant. Pedants, however...

There's a Pedants' Corner in Private Eye especially for you.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Very few are set up to meet the legal requirements to resell electricals. Very few are set up to deal with bulky furniture.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, an I don't have the time or inclination to get into another debate post

There just might be a reason for that

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

obviously I didn't

so no significance to real life kettles, thus no relevance

Reply to
tabbypurr

none would, hence the extra short term rating in the US. If it legally required intelligent control to prevent repeated reuse at 16A, the peak demand issue is going to be solved.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What a retarded post

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The minute you put in shower limiters solely to stop blackouts occurring, it's evident that sooner or later they'll be used on a frequent basis for trivial issues.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There does seem to be a general misunderstanding in this area. Charity shop s no longer take anything & everything, they pick the lines they are relati vely good at dealing with. The legal burden prevents them taking anything t hat might be described as waste, using a wide definition, and in most cases electrical equipment. They also know that in today's relatively well off s ociety a fair bit of what they're offered is simply not saleable. The gener al public however seems to have realised none of this.

BHF have an added complication in that they use 3rd party couriers for coll ections, so have to rely on simple check lists to determine what they do & don't take. This results in additional missed opportunities.

The example quoted sounds like an initial failure in communication. I can't think of any charity that does total house clearance as it's no longer leg al for them to do it, and the cost of disposal is a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There is. Maximum profit for minimum effort. That might well be in the interest of the seller, but against the interests (and safety) of the consumer. Hence the need for regulation. If all businesses were ethical, there would be no need for regulations. Sadly, very few are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please explain how it can be illegal for *anyone* to do a house clearance? Obviously how things are disposed of afterwards can involve the law.

Some charities do take electrical goods - those who have PAT facilities.

The snag with many house clearances is that the family etc will usually have removed anything of value, leaving just the unsaleable for the charity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Too much regulation stifles innovation. And in the EU, such regulation is in the interest of big business, not of the consumer.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And sometimes before the 'dearly beloved' are properly cold. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most sellers accept the need for safety. What people complain about is the red tape that fails to be constructive.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the days when I used to be involved with Jumble sales, all donated electric blankets were treated as rubbish,

Reply to
charles

check out the law relating to waste.

yes, but most don't

there are saleables and unsaleables normally

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But it isn't waste - yet. It's house contents. It doesn't become waste until later.

Reply to
charles