OT Has the Earth gained more mass or has the gravitational constant altered?

It's just the wall chaser I used today feels heavier than when I last used it and my weighing scales are playing up?
Is anyone else suffering from this gravitational/time distortion?
--
Adam

On 28/01/2020 18:55, ARW wrote:

I too, am getting older... ;)
On 28/01/2020 18:55, ARW wrote:

I think it's just a temporary gravity surge.
On 28/01/2020 19:43, Andy Bennet wrote:

The Earth sucks more these days.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Its quite common after Christmas and new year I imagine.
Brian
--
----- --

And in his case every morning.

Its just the alzhiemers, nothing to worry about.
Soon someone will have to wipe your arse and feed you.

Nope, just you. You were warned, you wouldn’t listen...
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 18:55:55 UTC, ARW wrote:

As part of re-establishment of our sovereignty, the kilogram is being redefined based on a lump metal somewhere in London. (Instead of Paris - or whatever esoteric basis the rest of the world are switching over to.) You just got caught out by the change.
On 28/01/2020 21:58, polygonum_on_google wrote:

The lump of metal in Paris is no longer the standard (it kept changing a little, which is obviously not good!) I think the standard now is defined as the force applied by a magnetic field created by a fixed current or something like that - which makes is measurable from fundamental units rather than a somewhat variable lump of metal.
SteveW
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:59:34 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:

edefined based on a lump metal somewhere in London. (Instead of Paris - or whatever esoteric basis the rest of the world are switching over to.) You j ust got caught out by the change.

Total drivel. How do you measure the current?
On 29/01/2020 07:33, harry wrote:

That question is indeed total drivel. Go see how a Kibble balance (previously Watt balance) works.
--
Robin
On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 07:33:35 UTC, harry wrote:

redefined based on a lump metal somewhere in London. (Instead of Paris - o r whatever esoteric basis the rest of the world are switching over to.) You just got caught out by the change.

With a meter. But the above is corect the KG or teh way to measure a KG has changed.
Steve Walker wrote:

They used a Kibble balance as you describe to measure (and fix) the planck constant, then the kilo was redefined as a number derived from the physical constants
speed of light squared / (planck constant * frequency of caesium atom)
299792458^2 / (6.62607015*10^-34 * 9192631770)
<https://www.npl.co.uk/si-units/kilogram
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:59:34 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:

edefined based on a lump metal somewhere in London. (Instead of Paris - or whatever esoteric basis the rest of the world are switching over to.) You j ust got caught out by the change.

Yes - that was why I wrote "esoteric basis the rest of the world are switch ing over to". Because it was just meant as a quick quip rather than a detai led discussion. :-)
And, obviously, in reality we will use the same basis as the RotW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_redefinition_of_the_SI_base_units
No lumps of metal any more ... but it does depend on a physical constant named after a German. Is that better than depending on the French? :-)
#Paul
On 29/01/2020 07:50, snipped-for-privacy@moo.uklinux.net wrote:

IMO a brilliant, tolerant German thinker is incomparably better than an unthinking French lump.
--
Robin
On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 13:58:39 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google

From then on it will be the standard 2.20462262185 lbs.
--

Chris

On 28/01/2020 21:58, polygonum_on_google wrote:

The problem with the lump of metal standard is that it is only accurate at one point on the earths surface. Acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the earth changes with location, the lowest being 9.7639 m/s2 on mount Nevado Huascarán in Peru and the highest being 9.8337 m/s2 at the surface of the arctic ocean. Gravity tends to be lowest towards the equator and higher at the poles as the earth is not a perfect sphere.
On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 15:35:18 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:

edefined based on a lump metal somewhere in London. (Instead of Paris - or whatever esoteric basis the rest of the world are switching over to.) You j ust got caught out by the change.

at

I don't understand?
You are referring to weight, I think. Whereas the definition of the kilogra m is as a mass (whether a lump or otherwise) and is independent of gravity.
(My comment was tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be a serious discussion ov er definitions.)

Why would this be? The kg is a unit of mass, not weight. A kg on the moon is still a kg. You measure mass with a balance and weight with your bathroom scales.

Interesting but not germane to the issue.
--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst
ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of