[OT] Grenfell Tower Public Inquiry to be abolished...

... as Jeremy Conbyn has already completed the inquiry on his own and in record time and kindly shared the finding on PMQ: it was simply austerity that was the cause for it all...
Prime Minister material? most definitely!
You show me another person with 2 x E grade A levels who would manage to complete his engineering (structural and chemical), fire safety regulation, charter surveying, legal, etc qualifications in the two weeks that it took our prime-minister-in-waiting (his words, not mine) to do his?

To be fair to him, if you clad a building in the equivalent of Zip firelighters it doesn't take a genius to see that it's gonna go up like a torch if it catches alight.
--
(\_/)
On 28/06/2017 16:26, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Well, easy to see that now, but many an expert did not see this coming for many years (perhaps decades).
This is the reason a public inquiry was set up and why someone who considers himself as the prime minister in waiting (5.5 months to go according to him...) should wait for its findings, just like the rest of us, before starting to make unfounded accusations and draw conclusions about the causes and the sequence of events that let to it.
On 28/06/2017 16:39, JoeJoe wrote:

We have a government who did not keep the fire regulations up-to-date and easy to understand as building technology changed, despite many requests. Recently they down tools for a general election instead of making sure that the country was being governed properly.
They can't even stop unsolicited phone calls. Makes you wonder how well the country would cope if it is not part of the EU. There are umpteen laws that come from the EU

Even the government has worked out that it would be sensible to take action by checking other buildings before the public enquiry finishes.
--
Michael Chare

On 28/06/2017 18:11, Michael Chare wrote:

You do understand that the cladding did *not* meet the building regulations standard? It quite clearly states that any insulation or cladding should not spread fire. It also states what standard the materials must meet. It is what is being tested for and so far they have all failed the test.
The problem is not in the standards required.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441669/BR_PDF_AD_B2_2013.pdf
Section 12.7 or close.
Its the building approvals system where the problem lies.

You want big brother to control international calls when you can buy a phone to control what calls *you* get?

They have just found out people are not building to the regulations so they are going to make sure they are fixed.
remarked:

I have yet to be convinced that the tests currently being performed are the same as the "regulation test", which is a flame for ten minutes in the middle of the sheet of aluminium on the outside of the panel.
And not sticking the exposed end of a panel on bonfire for half an hour.
--
Roland Perry

Nobody in any government can do that.
--
Roland Perry

On 28/06/2017 20:09, Roland Perry wrote:

They can stop sales type calls by taking measures against those who sponsor them, confiscating personal assets.
--
Michael Chare

Nope, because it would be so easy to shaft your competitor by pretending to be a spammer for them and impossible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that that isnt what happened.

So they move operations offshore, and there are many issues defining "unsolicited" precisely enough at the margins.
--
Roland Perry

If the companies do business in the UK then they could take action against them.

Doesn't work because the companies say "it wasn't us, this is a Joe Job".
--
Roland Perry

On 28/06/2017 22:58, Michael Chare wrote:

There have been numerous fines against UK telemarketers but it hasn't stopped them. They can't fine people in India phoning.
Getting a call blocking phone does stop them.
Sky do a call blocking service on their lines now but it aint free to all users. It works the same way as trucall.
On 29/06/2017 10:01, dennis@home wrote:

I don't think any of the companies involved in such practices ever paid the fine as they typically go into administration during the trial (and usually re-emerge, with the same directors under a new name soon after).
I do believe that new legislation is about to be introduced that will allow the fines to be imposed on the directors rather than the company.
On Thursday, 29 June 2017 10:29:04 UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:

AIUI the law prevents directors of a bankrupted company from being director again for several years. So how do they do it, do they rotate the posts?
NT
On 29/06/2017 10:28, JoeJoe wrote:

Which might stop them holding wedding receptions at Park Lane hotels.
--
Michael Chare

Banning white goods with a history of bursting into flames would be the most useful start.
--
Roland Perry

On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 16:27:44 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Ah but what is these Zip firelighters were imported and/or not up to the st andard of firelighters which is their ability to start fires, perhaps fault y firelighters wouldn't have gone up in smoke?
Soundbytes my dear fellow, Soundbytes. the stuff of non debate polly ticks. Brian
--
----- -
JoeJoe explained on 28/06/2017 :

I heard yesterday, that the cladding of tower block processes was begun under the Blair government, wasn't he a Labour PM?