OT: Greatest Songwriters

To hell with DIY for a minute. Who do you think is (or was, depending on state of health) the greatest songwriter of all up to the present date?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Roger McGuinn

or whoever wrote this ...

Jim GM4DHJ ...

yes get a man in as I have been told ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

For lyrics. Bob Dylan. For total harmony...well upu have to go along way to beat Gerry Rafferty'es 'Baker Street' and of course the Beeb reckons Gerswins 'Summertime' is the most covered song ever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not sure I can think of any great ones. Skill at pop music does not seem to go with good lyrics. Normally they're banal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Chris

Buddy Holly. Such promise extinguished. :(

Reply to
Al

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Almost a meaningless question. Certainly Dylan is up there and not only for lyrics.

But where do you put Jimmy Webb, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush?

For harmonies, various combinations of CSNY?

And Gershwin, of course.

And what about George Martin's arrangements?

Reply to
newshound

Joe Dolce - no question.

Reply to
Jim

Cheeky girls :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Schubert.

Reply to
Bert Coules

that is just because that has a bert in it......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

who needs lyrics ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Not Crazy Frog then? :)

Reply to
Pamela

Will that Rick Roll me if I click it? :)

Reply to
Pamela

For sheer inventiveness, charisma and energy on stage, it has to be these guys:

Julian Barnes

Bryant Oden.

Reply to
ARW

W S Gilbert

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Minimalist! It sounds quite like "That's Not My Name"

Pamela