OT - grasp of simple concepts like road names

Ah, _now_ I understand!

Reply to
S Viemeister

A lot of those round here in Kent, too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Posh outdoor cafes, and ladies having tea. The old Rose Street was a place my grandfather (an Edinburgh polis) warned my mother to stay away from. The Grassmarket, too, is trendy now, and Mum was told not to go there, either.

Reply to
S Viemeister

An American friend recently commented to me how nice Kings Cross in London is. It was only a couple of years ago you didn't dare go out of the railway station(s).

Reply to
Huge

Last time I was there, the Lothian Road seemed much the same on a Saturday night.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It wasn't that inviting in the 1950s.

Reply to
charles

IIRC there is a Village in Somerset called 'Street' as well as villages called 'Friday Street' in Surrey...Sussex...Suffolk..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com escribió:

Naughty :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Reminds me of someone I once knew calling the AA.

Where are you?

Watling Street. Ummm....where abouts in Watling Street?

Or our call to the RAC after our motorhome threw a major wobbly with the wiring harness.

Where are you?

Jura.

Which road are you on?

The only one; we are a couple of miles from the ferry. {Confusion} What can you see around you? Rutting stags! O.K. we'll get someone to you in an hour and a half.

Yeah, right. We were relayed off four days later by a commercial rescue truck from Glasgow.

Edge cases are always the hardest.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

There's a village between Margate and Broadstairs, but it was obviously swallowed up years ago by the sprawl of Broadstairs. Now it is just embedded. The first time I visited it, it seemed quite strange. Suddenly, old stone walls, pub, church...

It's called Reading Street:

Bob Eager

Not this one:

Max Demian
[36 lines snipped]

If you were a couple of miles from the ferry, I'd expect you to be able to see the Jura Hotel & the distillery. :o)

[Googles]OK, you're forgiven. It's 8 miles from the ferry to Craighouse. Further than I remember. It's been a few years since we were there.
Reply to
Huge

A pend is a vennel with a lid.

Pends generally have rooms above them whilst a vennel tends to be open to the sky

Reply to
soup

So you disapprove of "Avenue Road Extension"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

North of Henfield in West Sussex there is a road sign that says Wheatsheaf Road, also known as Albourne Road, which would seem to address a similar problem.

Other oddities I know of:

I once lived in a road with numbers 1, 2 and 3 between 18 and 22. There was a building at the start of the road that should have been numbered

2, except that it was named and not numbered. Odd numbers started at about 25 as that side of the road was open land. The out of sequence numbers were a row of cottages that had been built on previously open land, but the name of the cottages had been dropped well before living memory.

In a village in France where I had a house, the houses in one road were numbered according to how many metres they were from the start of the road.

Reply to
Nightjar
[38 lines snipped]

The lane we now live on has a mixture of named & numbered houses. The named ones have no number. The numbers also start at what appears to be the "wrong" end (they count *down* away from the "main" road.)

Last year we drove Westwards along the Pennsylvania Turnpike for several hours. I started out wondering exactly how many junctions there were, since we kept seeing junction numbers in the hundreds. The junctions are numbered in miles from the beginning of the Turnpike. This is such a good idea, I wondered why I'd never seen it anywhere else.

Reply to
Huge

Saddest part is that IMNSHO Jura single malt is crap compared to Islay single malt (and most others as well).

Lovely island, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to